Sunday, November 09, 2003

Oprah Rocks!
I find Oprah to be a phenomenal woman. Her talk show gets me constantly drying my eyes; she's a philantropist, supporting various organizations so generously; she continues to uplift people with her many inspiring talks; and she keeps it real the best way she can in this jacked up world that we live in. PLUS, if it wasn't for Oprah, I'd have no idea which book to read! lol! On the real though, many of the books in my library were bought on the sole recommendation of her bookclub..."if it's good enough for Oprah, well dammit, it's good enough for me!" It's like how Rosie O'Donnell was in the know of which broadway musicals couldn't be passed up, Oprah is the same with books.

I just finished reading "Cry, the Beloved Country" by Alan Paton. Very powerful novel. Takes place in South Africa where white and black try to live side by side. It focuses on an "unfundisi" (pronounced "oom-foon-deece", meaning "parson") and the many trials and tribulations he suffers and the struggles he has with his family, his country, his religions, and himself. It's filled with so much sadness and devastation, but at the same time, offers hope. It can very well be a story of the hardships of any oppressed minority in a white man's world. As you read it, you feel that you can relate to it somewhat. I found myself rejoicing with the people and other times, I'd cry for their pain. Yah, if you can't tell, I really immerse myself into the stories that I read. Anyways, I found this quiz on Oprah's page- tells you what kind of novel you'd be. I took it twice, and the results told me I was either a romance novel or a biography. Between the two, I'd rather be a romance novel! Read on.

If you were a novel, you'd be a Romance Novel
From strolling on the beach to cuddling in front of a roaring fire, your life might read like a romantic novel. It's just the right kind of tale to get your dreamy heart pumping and your emotions flowing. Maybe you're the type whose daydreams are filled with visions of candlelit dinners, sweet nothings, and red roses. Then again, maybe your life already reads like a steamy Harlequin novel! A caring and romantic person like you is in good company with famous literary lovers like Romeo and Juliet, Catherine and Heathcliff, or Guinevere and Lancelot. Just because it didn't exactly work out for them, doesn't mean you can't have your own happy ending and live happily ever after in your own real-life romance novel.

*Just for the record: I DO NOT read any of those romance novels with Fabio-looking guys on the cover. Really, I don't.*

Check out this lil' quiz to find out what kind a novel you are.

No comments: