Sunday, November 09, 2003

It's A Small World afterall

Friday night welcomed us with two new visitors- yay! Aside from Pare & Mare & kids, the one person that has visited our humble abode the most has been Tom the maintenance guy. Anyways, hubby had been told by a friend in the Bay that he knew some people that we could hook up with once we moved to MN. Once hubby got here, he called and met up with Ibalik. Now, funny story that must be told here. Ibalik lived in San Francisco for a bit. I ask whereabouts did he live, where he went to school, etc. While we're talking about that, he's looking at our wedding pictures- all of sudden, he starts pointing to Ms. Penny, Kumare Wena, and mle, "Hey, I know her. I know her. And yah, I know her, too!" Wait a second...how do you know them? What he says next just totally blows me away- "I knew them from a dance group called Cutting Edge." CUTTING EDGE? (For those of you who don't know, MnM used to be part of an amateur hip-hop dance company...started by us group of kids whose parents were best friends...also the same kids who started the folk dance company, Barangay...)Man, what do ya'll know about that? He continues to tell me how he joined this dance group when it was heading into becoming Mind over Matter. Dude! I tell him that I was part of the original Cutting Edge, but I left when new people started joining. He started naming names and people that he knew- bugged me a bit that he knew everyone else EXCEPT for me! What was I, invisible?! LOL! He talked about where Cutting Edge would practice (Crocker Park Clubhouse), mentioned other people that he knew like Calves from Balboa...according to him, played tennis with him and kicked his butt! Shoot...I knew Calves and fam when they first came from PI! I will have to ask him who kicked whose butt though. Now of all people for us to meet here in MN, it just so happens it's another Pinoy from the Bay who also happens to know a lot of the same people that I know. Talk about a small world!

Still Trippin'
Cutting Edge. I haven't heard that name in years! We were nothing close to the hip hop dance groups out there today. But I remember that it was so fun! We'd practice in each other's garages, play and rewind the tapes on our pastel tape recorders, and made up routines from songs by Heavy D ("Now That We Found Love"), ABC ("At the Playground"), Janet Jackson ("Black Cat"), and my personal fave Paula Abdul ("Forever Your Girl"), just to name a few. We actually had gigs- did birthday parties, association parties, and the biggie, Fiesta Islands in San Francisco! Back in da day, Fiesta Islands was held in downtown S.F. at the Civic Center- even got to perform on the main stage and get introduced by KMEL DJ Rick Chase! Depending on the songs, the gals wore the coolest matching vests and black pants, and had those black shiny shoes with the chiffon laces. Remember those? Then there was the "Forever Your Girl" outfit...I don't remember what they were called, but it was like a babydoll dress with bikers shorts attached. Know what I'm talking about? We'd wear those with white bobby socks and our black shoes! Now I don't care what you say, but in the 1989-1990 timeframe, we were stylin'! Oh man...that totally brings me back- WAY back!

SlamBook Question of the Day

"Who is the most famous person you have met?"

No comments: