Monday, November 17, 2003

Effects of "Charmed"

So the beginning of "Charmed" starts off with aerial shots of downtown San Francisco in the daytime, captures Embarcadero all lit up at night, the famous Transamerica building, and the famous of landmarks, the Golden Gate Bridge...'course we know that the show isn't even taped in da City, but hey, it makes for a cool backdrop of all the demon fighting these "charmed" sistas have to do, don't it? Yah..."the City" as it is lovingly known, the mecca where evil lurks. Yup. Anyways, here I am taking a break from all my schoolwork, gettin' all comfy and looking forward to some ass kickin', etc, when all of a sudden, I feel this wave of emotion come over me. (NO..not wave of nausea...that would mean that I'm pregnant...sorry to disappoint ya' folks!) So sudden wave of emotion...I didn't expect it, but I had these tears in my eyes and I had this sudden urge to go home to the City. *sigh* I found myself all teary-eyed, then of course the commercial that follows is the one of the mom on the bus and she's listening to her son's piano recital through her phone? Know what I'm talking about? That always gets me all choked up!

Later on, I switch to the Food Network channel. "Emeril" was due and turns out that he was doing a Thanksgiving episode. He was doin' a tribute to the military and their families. 'Twas pretty cool. It got me thinking of my family and how this Turkey Day will be the first Thanksgiving that I've spent away from them. Well, no, I take that back. Last year, hubby and I hosted a lil' gathering at our place in Foster City...y'know, to celebrate the beginning of the demise of the Native American Indians at the hands of the Europeans, as hubby would say...(sarcasm people...)...had the Lapids and the future Opianas over. Hubby made his green bean casserole and Clam made the oh-so-delish-yet-so-hard-to-bite-in bread! Yah! LOL! When I say "away" from my family, I mean "away" as in here in Minnesota away.

So, as I write this, I'm in a hotel room in Chaska (about 45 minutes from our place). Hubby has an all-nighter at this site and I decided to join him. On our way here, hubby busts out some Christmas holiday music. Put on some N'Sync Christmas (I ain't ashamed to say that I'm a fan!)...the same cd I use to decorate our house for Christmas....the same cd that reminds me of home in CA...the same cd that just reminds me of San Francisco. Aw man! Where's the damn kleenex box?!

It must be because the holidays are upon us...from watching "Charmed" to "Emeril' to listening to Christmas music. I'm having a case of homesickness. Boo. Not to whine, but I am soooo missing my car! This is, of course, aside from my family, friends, and work. I seriously miss my Honda...my baby.

Mare and Pare are planning a visit home for Turkey Day. Mare says that one of the first things she's going to do when she gets to CA is eat a burrito...a REAL one! Gosh...I know for a fact that when hubby and I go home, we're gonna hit our favorite spot, E Komo Mai. Mochiko chicken with a double order of mac salad just sounds so good right now! Plus, I don't care what the weather is in the City, I'm heading to the beach! I will probably even take a drive downtown just to see the beautiful skyline. I'm going to try to squish it all in on top of seeing my peoples...all this in possibly a week. It can be done. It MUST be done. Ah...San Francisco....I'm coming home soon.

No comments: