Monday, November 10, 2003

IQ and inkblots

As I was planning on logging off early last night, er, this morning, one of those damn pop-ups caught my eye. It was for one of those IQ tests. Okay, I thought, let's just see how I do. Before I go any further, let me warn you that the tests takes you through four different areas: spatial, mathematical, verbal, and logic. Knowing that it's rating my intelligence, some of those wheels in my brain had to get cranking! Even though the ad says the results of the test are free, it's just a line to reel you in. Indeed, the general results of the test are given, but it's only a glimpse of how you really did. Of course, you're supposed to want to pay the $14.95 for the in-depth report of how your brain works. No thanks. I'll stick with free.

My IQ score: 122. *Is that good?!

This is what my score reveals about me:

"MnM, you are an Inspired Inventor.
This means you've got exceptional verbal and mathematical skills, and are very good at brainstorming new ideas."

Okay, not bad I suppose. Still in the mood to get my brain juices flowing, I took a Rorschach test. These are otherwise known as the inkblot tests. Psychologists use these to unlock the deepest recesses of your psyche or subconscious mind. The questions they ask after viewing the inkblots made me chuckle. Why? 'Cuz there always, always, always has to be a question about something sexual! Blame Freud! Some of the pics did look pretty freaky, some even downright scary. For some reason, I kept seeing eyes looking at me in some deranged way. Plus, the colors used and the ways they're splattered on the page...the red almost always reminds you of blood. Hmm...what does that say about my subconscious? At 3:30ish in the morning, I was hoping that by the time I went to bed that those inkblots wouldn't be the last thing I see in my mind. Anyways, after viewing 11 inkblots and answering 5-7 questions of each of them, here is what my subconscious reveals about me:

"MnM, your subconscious mind is driven most by Imagination.

You have a deep desire to use ideas to change the world around you. This drive influences you far more than you may realize on a conscious level. You love to brainstorm and imagine new possibilities. The world is a fuller, richer place because you can contribute new ideas to any experience. Your natural curiosity inspires those around you and encourages them to come up with ideas they wouldn't have discovered without your help.

Your psyche is very rich; the more you learn about it, the more you will understand who you really are."

Cool, eh? This is one of the reasons why I wanted to be a Psych major. I wanted to see the inner workings of people's mind and figure them out. Now, they've got computers to figure it out for you. Great. Don't you just love that one-on-one personal relationship you get with your laptop? Pshhh...whatever.

No comments: