Thursday, February 12, 2004

Waiting for Spring

Okay, that's it! I can't take it anymore! I'm sick and tired of all this damn snow! I seriously thought that I'd be able to hang with the hibernation thang, but nah uh, I'm done. Mother Nature must have some sick and twisted lil' mind. It's been about three and a half months too long in this fricken cold and I demand some warmer temperatures, dammit! I'm tired of having to bundle up, layer upon layer, and having my eyeballs freeze 'cuz that's the only body part that I cannot cover. If I stood out in the cold long enough, I'd probably develop some icicles hangin' from the tips of my eyelashes for goodness sake! I want the sun....badly. Sure doesn't help that when I talked to my mom, she was complaining about the warm weather da City has been getting lately AND Firemarshall J and RhoRho are headed to Hawai'i as we speak. 'Tisn't fair! I so long to see this snow melt away. In fact, all this white is losing its beauty. No, I take that back. It's still pretty. It's really breathtaking to see fresh fallen snow, but c'mon people, it's played out now...at least, to me. We've taken our pictures, we visited the Ice Palace on what turned out to be one of the COLDEST nights MN has had in a while, and we even made our snow angels (which btw, was FUN!).

Did I share about our trek to the Ice Palace on that bittercold night? People, it was SO cold, I swear, no jokes aside, I feared for my fingers. I seriously, honest to God thought I might lose my fingers to frostbite! I kept asking hubby what frostbite should feel like and well, let's just say the key word here is "feel." In fact, I couldn't "feel" anything! It killed me to see all these people in awe of the huge freezer we were all in. 'Cause that's what it was! The Ice Palace didn't quite impress me. Driving by, I admit, it looks cool amid the different colored lights. I mean, by golly, it's an ice palace built out of 27,000 blocks of ice cut from one of them thousands of lakes they got over here. That's 16 million pounds of ice, all built by volunteers in a "labor of love." But when we were walking through, it was like, "This is it?! We came out on the coldest night of winter (about -25 to -30 degrees) to see this?!" They had a "lights show," that is, if you call blasting country and polka music to different colored strobe lights a light show. The cold and the multicolors just gave me a headache (or it could've been the fear and pain of losing my frozen ear lobes...).

Some cool things we saw were the many ice sculptures. (I didn't know the Pinoys from the cruise lines were in town! 'Cause y'know, if you've ever been on a cruise, you'd know that all the ice sculptors are Pinoy....okay, ya'll didn't get that one...I'll be quiet now...) Some of the carvings were thrones where you can sit. Also, the many walls of the ice palace are covered in money. Yes, money! As in, pennies, nickels, dimes, didn't see too many quarters, and dollar bills. Ya'll know how we throw money into the fountains and make a wish? Well, apparently, they stick money on the ice to um, donate to the workers for a job well done? I don't know! Well, whatever they do it for, we had to do it, too! The major highlight of the whole thang has got to be the frozen fish we saw in one of the blocks of ice. I don't know the names of these fishes, but it was a "big" one chasing a "small" one. 'Twas a trip! It was blocked off by some rope so we weren't able to get a good pic of it. Boo. I was wondering who was goin' to take that home and grill it afterwards...y'know Pinoys, someone would've! Oh, I guess the other highlight was watching the zamboni driver re-shave the ice on the ice rink. That's always cool to watch, eh?

Considering that St. Paul hasn't built an ice palace in the last 12 years, hubby and I had to be there for the historic moment. But ya'll know what? Never again! Next time they build one, whether it's next year or 10 years from now, we're just gonna admire it from the warmth of our heated car as we drive by. Fricken -30 degrees out, people! We are not THAT crazy- I love all ten of my fingers too much, thank you. Freakin' Minnesotans...I guess if frolicking in the freezing temps is their thang, then it's their thang. It definitely ain't mine, that's for damn sure.

And If We Weren't Freezing Enough...

Driving home that night and rejoicing as blood continued its healthy circulation back to our fingers, hubby decides that we should play in the snow. So much snow had fallen that it'd be perfect to make snow angels. Yes, snow angels! I've never ever made one in my entire life and dammit, I wanted to make one. 'Course it's just ironic that we make them after coming home from the Ice Palace....after we've defrosted ourselves in the car with the heat on full-blast...and well, it's not as if the temps got any warmer! Plus, we just finished cursing the fact that we subjected ourselves to this bone numbing cold and now he wants to immerse our entire bodies in it?! Lol! The hell with it-why not?

Hubby parked outside our complex and we chose a good spot where we'd be able to see it from our living room window. You should've seen it. Untouched snow. Perfect. Pristine.

I took a step into the snow and let my body fall backward. It was SOOOO cold! So I start my swooshing- my arms, my legs, and all the while, I can feel the chill going through my clothes. 'Twas a good thing that I was wearing snow gear, else I would've been soaked. Hubby, on the other hand, was snow gear-less. Plus, I had this "bright" idea to make one nearest the entrance (so people would see it!). Little did we know that happened to be the deepest part! Once hubby let himself fall, omigoodness, he practically disappeared! But what a lil' kid at heart, there he was swooshing to his heart's content. When he got up, oh boy was he soaked or what?! Probably not a good thing to be wet and out in hella cold ass weather. It's probably a miracle we didn't get pneumonia!

But we made our snow angels! Whoo hoo! It was funny 'cuz for some reason, I couldn't stop laughing the entire time! I was freezing my butt off, but it really made me feel like a young'un again.

All snow angels aside...we did it, it's done. Can we have the sun now?

No comments: