Friday, February 27, 2004

Totally Unrecognizable!

After four full days of being "one with myself," 'twas time for hubby to come back. His flight was due into MN at 9:27pm. Since we only live about 10 minutes from the airport, I had time to watch the reshowing of "My Big, Obnoxious Fiance." Okay, now be it that I already have my fill of reality tv shows, I did find myself watching the pilot of this one out of curiosity. After that, I didn't bother. But I happened to catch the finale in which the supposed wedding was to take place. After all the drama, the last order of business was to exchange the "I Do's." Now this will sound oddly weird, but from the moment the "fiance" stopped the wedding and the family walks out to when he reveals the truth about the whole thing and presents the checks for half a million bucks to both the bride and her family, I was in tears! Lol! Good Lord! I think it was the fact how the fiance-actor guy went into this spiel about love of family and even though they didn't agree with what the daughter was doing, they went along with it anyways. Plus, the bride was totally in tears out of not knowing whether or not her family would forgive her. She then went into her own speech how she was doing this because of her family...to give them financial security, to pay for her brother's way to college, and for the chance for the family to finally travel. She went on how she would give every cent of all the money back if it meant that they would forgive her. It was all very touching! But I think the half a million bucks made the forgiving much easier, don't you?

So I rush to the airport, proud that I successfully found my way, and get to the garage as hubby texts me that they just landed. I'm waiting and waiting...wondering if I'm waiting in the right place. This is the first time in which I have to go pick hubby up...'tis usually the other way around! Turns out that the rush of people coming in arrive on another level, but have to pass through baggage claim where I happen to be. Loads of people are crowded on the escalators while even more people bum rush their loved ones as they get off. Then, I suddenly see this dude with a very familiar face coming into view...I'm almost positive, but not quite sure...omigoodness, it's hubby! Hubby did not look like the hubby I dropped off on Sunday. Hubby, who's had this mop and bush for a head of hair, was coming off the escalator all clean cut and shaven! For those of you who haven't seen hubby in a while, he's been wanting to grow his hair out, jokingly like Johnny Depp or even Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible 2. I think he was trying to relive his youth as a surfer dude. Honestly...um, no. I didn't like it. But can I just say "WOW!" No more awkwardly growing out hair, hubby is back to a cool looking fade. Whew! For a minute there, he was totally unrecognizable....but I think the whole brown skin would've given him away in a heartbeat... =) Good to have you back home, hubby!

Rewind

I had mentioned that I've been on this VH-1's After Hours and MTV's Insomniac Theater thang, right? For 3am in the morning, they play some pretty dope videos. I was just commenting to hubby how the newest by Nickelback, "Someday," is a tres cool video. I don't want to spoil it, but it was one of those that you don't quite understand the first time around. You're led to believe one thing, but then, the ending takes you by surprise. 'Course after that, I want to see it again so I could catch the lil' clues that give it away. So last night, I realized something. I was in that head boppin' mode listening to Outkast (... I get a trip out of watching man-servant Bentley do his funky moves)...then I trip out at that Fergie chick from Black Eyed Peas singing her la la la's in the "Mama" video (can she please put some clothes ON?!)...then Sheryl Crow or Evanescence comes on, I forget which, and then Maroon 5. The point is...they play the same damn videos in the same sequence every single night! Not that I'm complaining too much, but damn people, get off your broken record and give me variety!

Cutting Edge Revelations

I've talked about this before. A bunch of us church kids from back in da day formed a lil' dance group called Cutting Edge. As it went under "new management," some of us oldies left while some newbies like Ibalik joined up. Cutting Edge would later come to be known as Mind Over Matter. Mind Over Matter evolved into a hip hop dance group that was so "cutting edge," incorporating different styles of dance and just getting their groove on in awesome ways. I just found out the they went all the way to audition for Janet Jackson! Although the group didn't make it, a few of the dancers made it to the final cut. Now, I never really kept up with them after I left, but according to Ibalik, some of the dancers that were once in M.O.M are now showing up as backup dancers for big names like J.Lo! No fricken way! It just blows my mind that what started off as something fun for us kids to do has morphed into something huge that basically makes way for up and coming Bay Area hopefuls to make it to the big time! Just to mention a few are Mykal Bean and Jessalee Santos...yes, believe it or not, that Mykal Bean is a pinoy. Although I may not have heard of these two, I'm guessing they're big in the dance community. Hey man, major props- my hats are off to ya'll! The group has seriously come a long way from Heavy D's "Now That We Found Love," Paula Abdul's "Forever Your Girl, " and ABC's "At The Playground," hasn't it? I wonder....are Russian kicks still considered cool??? (Ms. Penny...I KNOW that you could appreciate that one!)

No comments: