Saturday, August 23, 2003

Updated Blog
Hey ya'll, check it out. With the help of my beloved Doh-Boy, there are some changes to note on the blog. First of all, there's "Kaibigans" where you can check out some other cool blogs by some really cool people. Then, there's my "Links" to some cool sites that deserve some looking into. (FYI: I put Kim Taylor Reece on there 'cuz we had the pleasure of meeting this talented photographer! At last month's AlohaFest in San Francisco, hubby decided to buy me an ORIGINAL art piece for our anniversary- WOW! For those who don't know much about art (me included!), original pieces don't come cheap. So now, we're going to have this Hawaiian model beautifully posed on the beach on our wall with, yes, a nipple showing! Haha, not to be any kind of perv, but I do believe that is his signature thang. By the way, not only did we get the original piece, the gallery owners threw in a smaller piece worth $325 and a calendar (yah, more nipples!) for FREE...PLUS, we got all items personally autographed...PLUS, we got a pic with him!) Lastly, there's "Reading" where I'll post what my current read is for the moment.

Events to note in Minnesota
Gay Pride Celebration
During my first visit to Minneapolis, there was a Gay Pride Celebration. Turns out that Minneapolis has the largest concentration of gays and lesbians per capita. Didn't know that! I automatically thought home sweet home in San Francisco had the biggest community. The parade was a huge event that we unfortunately didn't have a chance to check out.

Taste of Minnesota
This annual event is similar to the one held in downtown San Francisco (although I can't remember the name). It's basically free, but you have to purchase tix to eat certain foods (i.e. 5 tix for a barbeque plate). So many restaurants participate, but yet again, we didn't get to go. This was actually during the 4th of July time frame and I had to fly back to the Bay Area.

RibFest
Hubby and I just happened to come across this Rib Fest happening in downtown Minneapolis by accident. It was held in a Justin Herman Plaza kind of place. There were so many booths from restaurants claiming to have "the best damn ribs." Most of the vendors were out of state, some as far as Iowa, Texas, and North Carolina. Now, did we actually do some taste testing? Nope! First of all, it was so expensive. Secondly, it was just pure humidity that day and for me, it's somewhat suffocating. With the dryness in the air mixed in the smoke of all the barbeques cooking, the only thing I could keep down was the $5 lemonade we bought! But all that aside, the "highlight" for us was when we noticed all these TV cameras everywhere. "It's the news," we thought. Guess again. Turns out it was a taping for "Elimidate!" Now, I know that there are so many crappy reality dating shows out there, but yes, I admit I actually watch this one! It's just funny how catty it can get as gals/guys do anything to win the date. We stuck around hoping to see who'd be the first to get the boot, but we were overcome by the heat. Oh, and as toursity as they come, we actually took a couple of pics of them! I'll be sure to post them once we get all our stuff! =)

Minnesota State Fair
The fair began a few days ago and lasts until Labor Day. This is a HUGE thing over here! Each night, there's a concert on the main stage. They've got carnival rides, games, circus, marching bands, contests, cow milking (Moooo!), ax throwing (damn lumber jacks!), tree scultures (think huge bonsai trees!), crop art (crop circles?), bungee jumping, food, fireworks and so much more! The commericals and flyers all have, "Think you've seen it all?!" There is this hilarious commercial where they show a little girl riding an ostrich....AN OSTRICH! My goodness! Out of all the things I've seen, the one thing that sparked my interest was going to the Birth Center and holding a newborn piglet! (oink, oink). I'm hoping to go sometime next week...I'll let you know if I get to hold a little piggy! That would definitely be a Kodak moment!

And here I thought that there wasn't anything to do out here in Minnesota! Silly me....