Wednesday, August 20, 2003

Dakilang Pilipina
What is "Dakilang Pilipina?" I actually got this from the title of a PCN at UC Berkeley. It's funny how two words can have so much meaning. From my understanding, it translates to "A woman of might; a woman of strength." In my opinion, it is so deserving that "Pilipina" is attached to it. Dakilang Pilipina is the embodiment of every mother, daughter, ate, tita, and lola that I know. It embraces the many different obstacles, sacrifices, every trial and tribulation that we Pilipinas have endured. Pilipinas are known to be strong women. We are the pillars of strength in the family. And when LIFE knocks us down, WE get up again.

I have chosen this as a name for this blog because Dakilang Pilipina is what I strive to be every day of my life. I feel that in my 29 years of existence, I have definitely had my share of obstacles. I have fallen and been kicked down so many times that honestly, the act of getting up again seems impossible at times. It is so much easier to give in and give up. But I don't. I always remember the saying, "What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger." Gee, if I could get a nickel for everytime I've said that, I'd be rich! Okay, not rich...hell, not even close to rich, but you get the jist of what I'm saying. I've had my share of good days and not-so-good days. Although I do remind myself of that lil' saying many times, I have a new quote that I would rather live by: "If God brings you to it, God will pull you through it." I don't know where it originated. Think I got it on a forward through email. Those words and the fact that I have faith in the Almighty One bring me comfort and strength to go on.

Dakilang Pilipina- a woman of might, a woman of strength. That's me.

No comments: