Sunday, August 24, 2003

School is starting...
It's that time of year again. School is starting for everyone...but me! Not to sound so pathetic or anything, but I WISH I was busy getting a classroom ready.... buying class stuff at teacher stores....setting up colorful bulletin boards....name tags on the desks...posters..library books... Honestly, it IS nice to work on my Masters without having to worry about correcting papers and/or planning lessons. But I have this creeping fear that while I am out of the classroom that I'll "lose" my desire to teach. Gosh, I hope not! The past three years having my own class has been so awesome! Teaching is definitely my calling! To be able to make a difference in a child's life, to see that spark of learning and understanding and knowing that I was responsible for that spark is such an undescribable feeling! One thing I DON'T miss is having to tear out those darn tests & quizzes and filing them away in order for the file cabinet. I can do without that...

I can't believe that just about 2 1/2 months ago, I was packing up my things in my own classroom, ready to ship 'em off to Minnesota....and now I'm here. Of course "here" is Minnesota and although I keep telling people that I haven't fallen in love with the place, it is a nice place.

I remember that day it hit me that I would be unemployed....UNEMPLOYED! I have been working since I was 14 years old! I do miss my job at Cornerstone. I think deep down I knew that I wouldn't stay there forever, but it was such a great start for me. The teachers and staff are so supportive...they made my 1st year of teaching so memorable that I don't think I would've survived it without their encouragement. Plus, I've made some really good friends among the group of teachers and not being able to see them on a daily basis will definitely be different. I'll miss the passing hellos, the morning chats, the lunch discussions, and the end of the day goodbyes that would take forever. I have learned SO much from fellow teachers that I have to credit them for molding me into the teacher that I am today. Of course, I can't forget the students. Although we all had difficult and/or knuckle headed kids here and there, I can honestly say that I loved my students. All the classes that I had were good groups. There's always that troublesome handful, but for the most part, I really enjoyed my kids and I think they enjoyed me, too! (I was the COOL teacher!) =) The kids don't realize that teachers learn so much from them, too (shhh..don't tell them!). I will miss being in the classroom and I look forward to the day that I return.

In the meantime, I just wanna give some "shout outs" to those going back to school. To the Cornerstone crew in S.F., I'm thinking of you all and missing you much. Sharon, my fellow Pinay sista over there, I'll miss you most! You've been a true friend! Congrats to Msneldog on her upcoming wedding and belated best wishes to bettes15. Ms.MarveLIS, I'm going to miss our chats here and there, too! And a big "WHAT UP?!" to AK4him for hangin' out at the beach and for taking us to Akagi's for din-din. Yummy! To the 3rd grade crew- you're the best! Miss Lily...don't miss me too much! ~Can't forget Ms. Penalosa who's starting her first year teaching 6th graders...whoo girl, you're my hero! You're going to have an awesome year- so, so proud of you! Give Stud Muffin my love.~To my number one roomie of all time Heidi in CT...she's not goin' back to school, but her lil' Josh is starting kindergarten. Gosh, they grow up so fast, don't they?! Get those kleenex ready and try holdin' back the tears...be strong girlfriend!~Last, but not least, I want to give a very special hugs and kisses to my Bina from her Ninang! Kindergarten was a piece of cake and now, it's on to 1st Grade! This summer, she started piano and swimming lessons...she's graduated from a "starfish" to a "seahorse!" Ninang is so proud of you!

Hope everyone who's going back to school is ready for a brand new year- teachers and student alike. My love and prayers to you all.

No comments: