Thursday, August 21, 2003

Unpredictable
Minnesota weather is so weird. It's already been established that MN has all the four seasons. When someone told me that, I actually had to ask what that meant. Coming from San Francisco, I'm used to "Indian summers" (to this day, I STILL don't know why they call it that!) and fog, fog, fog. Gosh, I miss the fog! After last night's lightning and thunder storm, I woke up to a beautiful day. Looking outside, the trees were swaying to what looked like a gentle breeze. Although I didn't go outside, I already knew that one step out would be met NOT by gentle breezes of cool air, but by gusts of uncomfortable humidity.

Pandango and Tinikling flashbacks
Tomorrow I check out a filipino cultural dance company. I'm pretty excited. I haven't been involved in any folk dancing for about four years now. From what I hear, it's a small group of people who basically like to dance- nothing too professional. They do parties, birthdays, and hey apparently they Asian festivals in Minneapolis! Didn't know that! Nothing like Larawan or Likha and the numerous hours of practice that would last until 1am in the morning. I'm looking forward to getting back into it and just learning and re-learning cultural dances.

It's been way too long. After more than 10 years (Wow! Was it really that long?!), I just thought that "my time" was done. I did the whole performing thang and did the PCN thang at SF State, too! But I learned so much besides dancing during those years. I learned the discipline of being a dancer....sure didn't want that tsinelas thrown at me by Ate Edwina now! I also learned to appreciate my culture through dance. I remember that back in the day that I didn't want to join Barangay because I thought dancing barefoot was "embarrassing!" But as I immersed myself into the dancing and the history and stories behind the dances and movements, I was captivated. Captivated by the beauty of the Pilipino culture.

Yah, I could go into the whole "Pilipinos don't have their own culture" thing, but I won't. Choosing to be a part of a filipino folk dance group was one of the best things I've ever done for myself. I never joined a gang, never did drugs, and I didn't become a statistic of teenage pregnancies. But there's another issue that I must bring up. It's a tired issue that really needs to die. I'm sick and tired of the whole P.I.- born vs. American-born Pililpinos issue. I really am. Just because I was born in the States and I don't speak the language doesn't make me LESS of a Pinay than an P.I.-born Pilipino. I've dealt with that my whole life. When my cousins first came from PI, they lived with us. I, of course, spoke to them in English. Although they never blatantly said it, there was always that vibe that they held that against me. I am Pilipino, therefore, I should speak the language. Hey! Doesn't it count for something that I could understand it?

Now that I'm here in Minnesota, it's the same thing. The group of Pinoys that we've come to know are a nice group, but I don't feel so comfortable with them just yet. I know, I know, give them a chance. But there are a FEW people and this one particular lady who is constantly saying "Oh! Why are you talking to them in Tagalog?! They don't understand. Speak English!" I can't even begin to describe how much that irks me....she totally rubs me the wrong way! I'm tired of explaining that "I understand, I just can't speak." In any case, I'll get off the subject... So um, anyways, yah, tomorrow I'll be checking out a filipino dance group...I'm excited!

No comments: