Wednesday, July 21, 2004

A Year at the Classic


One year ago today, hubby and I moved into our current apartment. We were sorta reminiscing about how hot it was that day, how we had to haul whatever we were able to stuff in the Lex up three damn flight of stairs, and how we basically spent our nights sleeping on that horrid Aerobed. I'm sorry, those things are SO not comfortable. With our furniture on the way, we endured the nights by watching the first season of "Friends" on the laptop, eating dinner on the floor and using boxes as our tables. At the time, I remember thinking how big the apartment was. The walls were bare, the rooms were empty, and just the sound of nothingness outside our windows was haunting. The stillness creeped me out. In da City, I was so used to hearing MUNI buses pass by the house at 15-minute increments or police car chases either going in or out of Crocker Park. In Foster City, we had to endure people cranking up their car stereos in the middle of the night, kids on their skateboards, or worse, "Fat Pat" doing God knows what in the apartment directly above ours. Ugh. She was the neighbor from hell. Her footsteps were so heavy that hubby and I actually did the whole hitting on the ceiling in hopes that she'd get the hint and soften her stomps. No such luck. Grrrr. Just thinking about Fat Pat makes me mad. Moving on...


Remembering how we moved into our apartment is just as significant as our drive from California to Minnesota. Honestly, I'm glad that I experienced the drive cross-country, but would I do it again? Um, no thanks. It was cool to see different states though, even though there was sh*t to look at in Wyoming or Nebraska. Iowa reminded me of the horror flick, "Children of the Corn" 'cuz of the miles and miles of corn fields. My mind kept urging hubby to drive faster in fear that we'd get "conveniently" stuck out in the middle of nowhere. Yes, my mind has a vivid imagination...sue me.


In any case, I still can't believe that we've been here- the Midwest, Land of 10,000 Lakes, land where Prince was born- for a year already. Hubby doesn't really count this as our year mark just yet because we were both flying back and forth from the Bay too often. If you want to get technical, my year will officially be in September. By that time, our apartment was cleaned out, furniture was picked up by the moving company (damn them!), and I was staying at my folks' place. September was when I bought that one-way ticket here... BUT, I will count today as the unofficial year mark, simply because we had driven cross-country to get our keys. Wow...I still can't believe it. Can you?

No comments: