Monday, July 19, 2004

No Canes Required....just yet!


On the mobility scale, I went from none to crawling, from slow motion "one step for MnM" babysteps to waddling as if I'm pregnant, to the current state of taking it easy and taking my time. This was truly the weekend from hell. I almost didn't make it to church. I did, but I had to join the other old folks in sitting out the praise and worship time. I couldn't quite stand the entire time and supporting myself with my arms was not an option. I felt like a lil' kid at church. I couldn't keep still. I had to change my sitting position every other minute. I have to say I'm quite disappointed though. Motrin didn't do sh*t for me. Usually after poppin' a few of those, I'm good to go. Oh well. I'm able to sit, stand, and lie down now....all in normal positions. No more gymnastic twistings of my body into pretzel formations. I'm good to go.


Wedding Prep - Meeting One


We had a meeting with the bride and groom. We, meaning two other "coordinators" plus myself. We wanted the young couple to tell us more details so we can get started. We have exactly one month to prepare. One freakin' month. This, by far, has got to be THE first wedding I will see that will have been put together in a month from start to finish. Never in my wildest dreams would I think it was possible. Again, this wedding has special circumstances, but still. One year? Yes. Six months? Sure. One month? It can be done. It has to be done....but not without pulling out my hair! Lol!


Among the coordinators, there is the dope flower arranger, the perfectionist who refuses to delegate responsibility and who has to do everything herself, and me. I may not be the craftiest person out there, but having been married the most recent, I've still got a lot of ideas swimming around in my head. I was under the impression that the couple would be satisfied with anything they could get. They're basically getting a free wedding! BUT, with all the things that can be done, it IS their wedding. I must've said that about a hundred times, "It's really up to you and how YOU want it. This is YOUR day." I say this because so many suggestions are being thrown out there that it's as if they are forced to just accept. They were basically watching this debate of how their wedding should be and that just ain't right.


In any case, the entire month leading up to D-Day is going to be hectic, chaotic, and overwhelming. I'm glad to be a part of it, not only because I love weddings and I don't mind helping out, but it'll definitely keep me busy. I've already driven around to different craft stores and checking out the major sales for anything that might work for a wedding. I have a feeling that it's going to turn out great...but til then, I'll have to keep saying my prayers.


Joy Luck Club


One of hubby's basketball crew buddies invited us over for dinner tonight. Funny story about this guy. Hubby had quite the interesting conversation with him the other day.

doh: They're building new homes that'll be ready by Thanksgiving.
homie: Hey, what a coincidence! The place I'm moving to will be done around that time.
doh: Yah, it's only about 10 minutes from where we live.
homie: It's only about 5 minutes from my parent's house.
doh: Have you seen the Centex homes?
homie: Dude, that's the same builder.
doh: Wait a sec...are you talkin' about Bailey's?
homie: No way! You're going to live there, too?
doh: Holy sh*t! That is too funny. Which floor plan did you get?
homie: I got an Ivy. My sister is also buying a house across the street from me.
doh: We got a Catalina. It's cool 'cuz it's a quiet corner facing a hill.
homie: Mine faces a hill, too!
doh: Are we talking the same hill?
homie: I think so!


Not only is homeboy buying a place in the same area, it turns out that he is going to be our next door neighbor...literally! I mean, talk about small world, you know?


Anyways, homie invited us over for dinner. Nothing fancy. A little pizza....hanging out.....playing mahjong. Turns out that his sister and sister-in-law have mahjong night once a week. Before we came over, we were told to bring some quarters! Lol! Needless to say, I played a couple games, but didn't win. Boo. It's been a while since I played, but it was fun. Just mixing up all the tiles and hearing the familiar sounds of the "halo-halo" brought it all back. I always laugh because I always recount the story of how my dad taught my sister and I how to play. I must've been 6 years old! Though we never played with money, we did play for candy. M&Ms if I'm not mistaken. Ahhh...those were the days. I can still hear the yelling of my mom as she lets my dad hear it about teaching us kids how to gamble. Lol!

In any case, it was cool to hang out with a new bunch of people. I can see hubby and I becoming fast friends with our new neighbors. Ain't that dope though? Our place isn't even built, but we already know two people in the neighborhood! Whoo hoo!

No comments: