Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Good TV Day

How very NOT typical for a Monday night! Rarely does the start of the week provide any quality entertainment...not in the summertime anyways. With all the news, reruns, reality shows, travel, cooking, interior decorating, and sports aside...haha, um, there isn't anything to watch. On the contrary, my friends! Take last night for example...


- ESPN's Homerun Derby. You get some of the best players in the league who compete for the most homeruns. That's it. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's pretty damn exciting! This year's lineup included San Francisco Giants Barry Bonds- whoo hoo! As Barry went up to the plate, hubby jokingly comments, "Wouldn't it be funny if they walked him?" And sure enough, the first pitch was an intentional walk!!! It was hilarious not only because hubby called it, but because Bonds had this comical look on his face as if to say, "What the hell?" The crowd cheered, the announcers were surprisingly shocked, and it was just a good way to start the evening. Everyone got a good laugh! Bonds did well in the 1st round hitting 8 homers...and had the roof of the Minute Maid ballpark been open or if they were in Pacbell Park, a few were definitely outta there! The commentators were discussing swinging styles of the different players and when it came to Bonds, it was all about fluidity and grace. As if he wasn't even trying. But in the 2nd round, he didn't hit enough to qualify for the championship round. It's all good though. I think for me, it was cool enough to see Bonds being pitched to at all! Lol!


- VH1's "I Love the 90's." Although I've been hyped for this segment to air for some time now, we were torn because it was showing at the same time as the Homerun Derby. Eh, we figure VH1 will show repeats of it anyways, but that still didn't stop us from switching channels between commercial breaks. Some of what we saw included the tv series, "Twin Peaks." Ya'll remember that freaky ass show? When it first aired, I thought it might be a show based in San Francisco. Wrong! It turned out to be a drama about the death of a prom queen gal Laura Palmer and finding out who her killer was. It's set in this quirky town with a bunch of strange misfits...even midgets (in PC terms: vertically challenged folk) were doing their thang and speaking freakishly backward. I will admit that the show gave me the creeps, but the humor was so bizarre and so dark that it got me hooked. I even want to say that I had a hard time sleeping sometimes... Let's see, what else... they have ex-long haired singer Michael Bolton telling us the "hotties" of each year, MC Hammer announcing the popular dance hits, and they even have the Snapple lady. The Snapple lady!


I was still in high school in 1990. That was 14 years ago! Egads. Tonight it's 1992 and 1993...BUT on ESPN, they have the All Star Game, too! Geez, what to do, what to do??? Plus, after all of that excitement and taking a break to actually do some homework, I watched a few episodes of "Dawson's Creek" season 3 last night, too. I've got two more episodes left. It's totally killing me 'cuz the whole Joey-Pacey thang was just getting started and now it's a whole big mess. I'm bummed that I've come to the end of the complete season 3...all I gotta say is that season 4 better come out soon! Lol! In any case, I'm hoping Wednesday will be better...I need a break! Lol!


Birthday Shout-Out

Lil' bro Phil celebrated his 29th birthday yesterday. This year, he decided to put party-mode on hold and opted to spend quality time with his fam down south. Lil' bro and I met at State where I signed up to be a PACE Ate. My bros included lil' Phil and Nickyboy. Throughout the rest of my college years, I literally took an active role as older sis in watching out for him and even doing their dishes at their Westlake apartment! What do you expect from a bunch of guys living in one place? Lol! We bonded pretty quick and I think the fact that since he was away from home, his friends became his family. And that's how it should be, too. Up to this day, we still regard each other as "lil' bro" and "Ate." It was cool, too, that after hubby and I moved to Foster City, lil' bro would come and hang at the apartment. No need for invitation, no special occasion, just to hang out, watch tv, eat, and chill. He did only live across the bridge. I was sad when we were making our move 'cuz that meant no lil' bro hanging out anymore. After grad, most of the people in our circle of friends went their separate ways, but we still managed to keep in touch. Lil' bro and I did and up to this day, we still do. Happy 29th Birthday Phil- love and miss ya'!!!

No comments: