Thursday, July 15, 2004

Future Endeavors?


Wedding planning. There's going to be a wedding next month and I have volunteered my services to make favors. So I suppose the technical term would be "favor coordinator?" The thought has crossed my mind several times before, usually during my moments of "What if a school never hires me?" or "What else can I do and what else would I enjoy doing aside from teaching?" Well, suffice to say, I did enjoy making wedding favors for my sister's wedding. My lil' assembly line of candle, tulle, ribbon, silver bucket, and sticker went as well as could be for mine. Three weeks after my own wedding was spent helping out with the Lapid nuptials, which btw, consisted of overly time consuming place cards. I wouldn't want to plan an entire wedding because egads, I've already done that once, er, twice before (and hopefully a 3rd again in the future!). But to be delegated and take charge of something small, well, I think I can handle that.


This upcoming wedding is special in its own way. Not only is it going to be held in a church, but it's also being GIVEN by the church...literally. See, the young couple that is getting married cannot afford a wedding. The bride's mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer earlier this year and being the single mother of four kids, the financial department has been tough for them all. It's a recent known fact that the church has been paying for rent, bills, and basically helping out as much as possible. It's truly been a rough year for the family and for the mother who's had to endure sessions of chemotherapy. Through answered prayers, the mother was miraculously healed and is cancer free today! Although this wedding is for the daughter, it is moreso for the mother. It's a time to celebrate and the church community is doing its part to provide a wedding, however small and simple it may be.


It's All About Who You Know


The notion of me making favors was suggested by, um, yours truly. Turns out that I had a box of parent-donated candle holders from when I was still at Cornerstone. I'm not talking cheesy, plastic, or cheap. These candle holders are nice- cream colored and in the shape of a heart. Pretty really. I also had picture frame magnets in the shape of a heart with flowers all around, too. I brought both to church last Sunday, showed it to the bride's mother, she liked it, and from there it was decided that I'd be in charge of 100 favors.


100 favors. I only had 24 in my box. So what do I do? I call up my teacher friends and see if they had any in stock. Had I still been working there, I probably would've used these for a Mother's Day craft for the student to make. I catch Miss Lily online, pitch her my idea, and it turns out that she had the very same idea for HER upcoming wedding! Plus, it turns out that she needs 300. Aiya! Well, we go straight to the source at Cornerstone to see what they have in stock ('cuz I'm doing my best to get these for FREE!)and Miss Amy tells us that yes, they have both. I would've preferred the candle holders, but seeing that Miss Lily wanted them too, I opted for the heart shaped picture frames. 100 of them are in the mail and on its way to MN.


The only thing I gotta say is- it's good to know people. Thanks to my teacher friends (and especially to the one who so happens to be in charge of the Art supplies!), the couple is now going to have favors for their wedding!


Hubby had asked me the other day, "Why are you doing this?" In the year that we've been here and going to this church, I have NOT had one conversation with the bride. It's funny and it's all due to two words: first impressions. You know what they say about first impression, right? Well, I'm sure she is a nice person and all. I totally feel for the situation that they're in, but a huge part of me is saying that her wedding day has to be special. So even though we don't talk and even if I believe that she may be getting so much more than she deserves, my reasons for helping out are simple. I'm doing it for her mom. It's not everyday that a mother sees her daughter get married and in Auntie's case, it's a miracle that she's seeing it at all. It may be simple, it may be small, it may not be held in the best restaurant or hall with deliciously catered entrees and such, and it may not be the wedding that the bride has always dreamed of having ever since she was a little girl, it will still be a special day. And so, I join the others in helping put this wedding together even if it's by making the favors...more details to follow later.


Just Because


I was having the hardest time sleepin' and decided to read up on my past entries. Found many of the Quizilla quizzes I took and decided to re-post this one...simply because it's pretty.

What Type of Soul Do You Have ?
brought to you by Quizilla
Artistic
You are naturally born with a gift, whether it be
poetry, writing or song. You love beauty and
creativity, and usually are highly intelligent.
Others view you as mysterious and dreamy, yet
also bold since you hold firm in your beliefs.


No comments: