Tuesday, January 27, 2004

VH-1 Addict

My latest guilty pleasure on TV is VH-1's Bands Reunited. Have you heard about this? They go around the world rounding up all of these members of bands that have broken up, try to get them to meet up for a reunion, and then give them a once in a lifetime opportunity to perform for a one-night only concert. You've got this camera crew roaming the streets and literally barging into these peoples' lives to pop the question of reuniting with people whom they haven't seen in about 20+ years, disregarding the fact that there was probably a very good reason why the band broke up in the first place. Most of the featured bands are from the good ole 80's era-don't you just LOVE the 80's?! There was even a band I swear I never heard of....Romeovoid??? They were from San Francisco, too! Seriously though, as shamefully addicted as I am to these damn reality shows, this one is really good! It really tugs at your heart strings to see these people share their initial skepticism, meet up, shed tears, talk about the old days, talk about the breakup, get back on the instruments that many haven't touched since they left the band, struggle to remember the notes, practice for one day, and then perform in front of their loyal fans. I must have cried at almost every single reunion, but then again, when DON'T I cry?! lol! You would think that since it made it on TV that all the bands consented, yah? On the contrary! You wouldn't believe some of the drama that led to the break-up of some of these bands though. For example, take Extreme ("More Than Words"). Meeting up wasn't even a possiblity. Turns out that one of the guys stole one of the other member's wife! DOH!

If ya'll haven't seen this yet, go check it out. They've got repeats goin' on and you can see bands like Berlin, Flock of Seagulls, and Kajagoogoo reunite and some (Frankie Goes to Hollywood and Extreme) that don't. It's a reality show that really rocks! (haha, okay, those are NOT my words...really).

What If?

So of course this got me thinking as to how I would react if I were to be reunited with some long lost friends. I can name a handful of people whom I don't keep in touch with anymore and a couple people from high school that I had a really bad falling out with. Honestly, I would be just as skeptical because in my eyes, I was the one who tried everything to keep things from falling apart in the first place. With these two particular gals from my ICA days...dude. Now if they were the ones to initiate the contact, and if they were to admit how wrong they were to act as they did, then yah, maybe I would consider seeing them again. Ya'll might be saying, "Oh MnM, swallow that damn pride of yours and be the bigger person!" To that, I say hell no. I've done that way too many times through the course of my life and I was always the one left feeling hurt. I have always been the bigger person and you know what, after a while, you just say, "screw it!" You tried, but apparently it didn't mean as much to them as it did to you. Why waste time? Am I one to hold grudges? No, not really. It's all in the past. Let's move forward and get on with your life. But honey, I can forgive, but I can't forget. I take friendships seriously. But if you messed with me, ya'll better have a damn good reason for me to even give you five minutes of my time. It's like that.

As disappointing it must have been for the fans, I guess I can empathize with those band members who refused to meet. As much as people move forward in their life and as much as they want to put the past behind them, sometimes it just doesn't seem worth it to revisit and relive the hurt all over again.

If I was given the opportunity to meet with these"old friends" of mine, would I? I don't know. I really don't.

On a Sweeter Note

Watched "Win a Date with Tad Hamilton" today. Hubby has been sick for the past few days now and work decided to give him a much deserved day off. We've been cooped in our place since the weekend so we decided to travel that hop, skip, and a jump to the movie theater across the way. 'Tis a hassle, you know, to get all bundled up in your winter gear when all we had to do was walk from the car to the theater. I tell you though...that less than a minute walk was cold....hella cold.

The movie is cute. It's just one of those romantic, fun, make you smile, kinda movies. If you do see it, see it with your significant other OR see it with your best girlfriends so ya'll can drool over Mr. Tad Hamilton. I won't go into any details, but one of my favorite parts had to do with "the different kinds of smiles." If you can name your significant other's various smiles and what each signifies, that's true love baby...it's all in the details.

Did MnM cry during "Win a Date with Tad Hamilton?" Do you even have to ask?!

No comments: