Saturday, January 03, 2004

Birthday Shout-Outs

A very Happy Happy Birthday goes out to Ms. VirgoCapri today! VirgoCapri is one of my best girlfriends from high school. I felt so bad because we were trying to hook up while I was in da Bay for the holidays, but we had forgotten to exchange numbers and didn't know how to get a hold of each other. By the time I realized this, I went ahead and emailed her, but turns out that she doesn't check her mail on the weekends. Boo! So we missed the opportunity...next time, we'll definitely be prepared. Much love goes out to her today and I hope and pray that the rest of the year brings much love and happiness to her and lil' Kai.

In The News

Here in MN, we don't have the luxury of getting a newspaper delivered on a daily basis. There is a newspaper dispenser across the street, but when the temps dip into the 10's and below, well, I ain't about to go venture out for one. That's what yahoo and aol news are for! lol! Anyways, when I was home in da Bay, I made sure I caught up with my S.F. Chronicle (I miss the comics!). Aside from the war in Iraq and the political happenings of Terminator turned Governator Arnold, there are some freak stories out there that I don't think get enough attention. Here are just a couple...

* An 84-year old woman was found unconscious in her home. Apparently, she had suffered a stroke the week before and was unable to call for help. She was found by friends who haven't heard from her and have been trying to call her. When paramedics arrived, they were able to save her, but noticed that she had multiple severe bites all over her body. It was reported that because she was incapacitated for a week, her 20+ cats were starved and must have started eating away at her flesh.
(Now I don't know about you, but that's pretty nasty! If any of my pets started to eat me because they were hungry, it's a quick trip to the SPCA for them!)

* A hotel manager and a Japanese prostitute in Hong Kong were sentenced to life in prison. They were charged for organizing a three-day orgy fest that included 100 Japanese men on business and 200 prostitutes. The organizing pair protested that they didn't do anything wrong. Apparently in Hong Kong, it's nothing unusual for prostitutes to hang out at big name hotels where wealthy business men are known to stay. It was reported that there was a lot of sex during those three days. A LOT.
(And they received a LIFE sentence for this?! Don't ya'll think that's a bit too harsh? I mean, everyone went home happy, right?) =)

And my personal favorite...

* There is a debate in Minnesota on the issue of venturing out on the frozen lakes. Some say you just have to be cautious, while others say you shouldn't go out on the ice at all. There have been many reported deaths of people falling through thin ice, some from walking...others from driving their trucks (driving their trucks?!). Some knuckle heads are even known to do some drag racing on the lakes! The rule of thumb for ice thickness is 4-8 inches if you're going to walk, and 8-12 inches if you're going to drive.
(Is there even a question of what people should do in this situation?! Just don't do it!)

Just had to mention though, that with all the thousands of lakes out here in MN, hella (and I mean HELLA!) people are out and about on the lakes doing their ice fishing! As we're driving, you can see all these lil' huts splayed over the lakes and people walking like it's no thang. It sure isn't a sight you see everyday, that's for sure! But in the news, people are being warned because the weather as of late hasn't been consistent. Although it drops into the low teens and even close to below zero at night, the sun has been out during the daytime. Hmmm...the sun out, the temperatures rising...wouldn't people think that some of that ice would melt? HELLO?! I don't care how safe locals say it is to go out on the ice, I will never, NEVER, EVER, EVER, take foot onto a lake! That sh*t is just too crazy for me.

No comments: