Tuesday, January 06, 2004

IKEA Is A Comin'

Word was going around and we weren't sure if they were rumors or not. But alas, 'tis true, 'tis true! We saw the familiar blue and yellow under construction and we couldn't help but cheer. An IKEA is being built right across the way from Mall of America, which of course means even more congestion, more traffic, more drivers who shouldn't be behind the wheel in the first place, and even more crazed shoppers to deal with. Moving to Minnesota, hubby and I were quite disappointed to find out that the nearest IKEA to us was in Chicago! That is an 8-hour drive from us! Now do we really want to drive all that way for votive candles? I think not. Seeing that we had to stock up on candles before we left, we hit the Emeryville IKEA. With 3 bags of votive candles (and $300 worth of stuff we probably didn't need!), we left happy and content. Plus, hubby was thinking that if we were ever in need of any IKEA-gear, we could always ask friends like Eastbay to send us a care package. Lol!

Well, care packages no more! 'Tis cool enough already that Mall of America and future IKEA is only a 10-15 minute drive from us. I already told hubby that if I don't score any teaching gigs by this summer, that's it...I'm working at IKEA! (I wonder what the discount is like?)

Sending Some Aloha

Speaking of care packages, best bud Firemarshall J is in the process of sending da Manimtims some aloha from da islands. Turns out J is making his way back to the mainland to finish his studies and to pursue other "interests." (sorry J..couldn't resist that one!). I figure that I better take advantage of the time he has left over there and get him to send some Kauai Kookies (macademia nut and shortbread), some Jawaiian reggae and popular traditional music, some t-shirts, some sandals, etc. No puka shells though. I think I'm pretty much done with that phase. Da list goes on, but like I said, J is moving back and this is the opportune time for a care package. I think I even got him goin' to the swap meet to get us our goodies. Plus, ain't nothing like that you can find here in Minnesota! I'm about to ask my mom or sister to send us some Pan De Sal bread and Ramen noodles! They do have Ramen over here, but you can't beat Pacific Supermarket prices of 12 for $1, right?! In any case, much love and appreciation to J in advance for our aloha package.

Anyone else wanting to send us some love from da Bay is by all means welcome to do so... (hint, hint)

By The Way...

I was very skeptical when locals over here told us that one could feel a significant difference in the weather. Meaning, be it 10 degrees or -5 degrees out, you can tell. For me, cold is cold. Ain't no difference or question about it. But I have to admit...there is truth to what these locals say. Last time, I was bitching about 7 degree weather with -19 degree wind chill. 'Member how I was out waiting for hubby to pick me up? 'Member the whole, "this is THE coldest I have ever felt in my entire life" cold? Well, today, hubby and I ventured out to Sam's Clubs to buy some essentials (rice, spam, the basics), and the weather out was only 13 degrees. 13! I mean, don't get me wrong, it was still cold and we went out prepared with our thermals and other gear, but it wasn't AS cold as the other day. It kinda blew my mind. Locals have also been saying that the January and February months are the fiercest in terms of winter weather. In fact, while the rest of the West side of the country takes vacations in the June-August months, folks over here take time off in February to get away from the freezing temps. It hasn't really snowed lately, just light dusting of flurries. I was telling hubby today that if it didn't snow for the rest of the winter and all we had to deal with was the cold, I think I'd be okay. 'Tis just scary when people talk about pneumonia and frostbite (FROSTBITE?!) and you're looking outside your window at the sunny skies. Confusing and misleading. In any case, I will be the first to admit that these Midwesterners are NOT crazy to be out and about in 10 degree weather...some having barbeques and some venturing out in shorts. There IS a difference...I just had to clarify.

Last Thoughts

As I write this, I'm watching The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and tonight's guest is the talented and hunky Tom Cruise. Jay Leno had just challenged Tom in a hand wrestle and while they were at it, Tom had to get outta his seat and position himself better. Needless to say, his ass was straight staring at the cameras and I'm sure, giving women all over the satisfaction of seeing his tight tushy. Lol! So is there even a question as to who won the hand wrestle? Who cares! All America saw was Tom squatting and flexing his derriere! My last thoughts? Um, I don't really have any...I just had to share that!



No comments: