Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Aries, the Ram

I seriously cannot stand all these damn pop-ups that I get when I venture online. They're so annoying and instead of subscribing to a program to get rid of them, I simply click them away. I'll admit though that there have been a few that have caught my interest here and there...recently, it was a pop-up about astrology. Back in the day, I lived to read my horoscope on a daily basis. In high school, I was usually the first one to leave the house. I'd wake up early for school, get the paper, read my horoscope, and walk down to the bus stop to wait for either the 52 Excelsior or the 29 Sunset. It was just one of those things that I didn't quite take seriously, but it was still fun to find the parallels, anything, that was similar to my life and the reading. Of course, I'd probably look too much into it, and deep down I probably felt that the stars and the position of the planets DID determine the outcome of my day. But when you're young like that, you're bound to believe anything that seems romantic in nature and so out of the ordinary that it is impossible to not believe in it. Hahaha, or at least I did.

So I checked out this site on astrology and decided to read just for fun. During my phase when I was so into it, I already basically knew my zodiac profile-

"Aries, the ram, is a natural leader. The Arian is headstrong, brave, positive in manner and attitude, and is a born survivor. Aries people are dynamic, direct, quick to respond in situations, and loves a challenge. On the downside, although they love a good challenge, Arians get bored quickly. They are more interested in the chase, than the catch. Arians can be emotional, combative, jealous, and impatient. "

I wouldn't say that I agree 100% that this profile fits me to a tee, but there is some truth in some of these traits. I can say that I'm definitely an emotional person. Not in the sense where I will make a scene about everything in public or whatnot, but more like I'm one of the people who feel easily touched and cry at movies and commercials (YES, commercials!). I need my tissues for any occasion called for 'cuz you just never know. I would also agree that I have a positive attitude about most things, I'm headstrong, and I am a survivor (think Beyonce and Destiny's Child!).

On the downside, people born under the sign of Aries are known to lack patience- it's not a virtue for us! I will agree to that to a certain degree because when it comes to my students in the classroom, I am a very patient person. With kids, you have to be. It's just not beneficial to anyone if a teacher cannot hold it together and lash out at every single thing knuckle-headed kids are prone to do. BUT, when it comes to other people...oh man. I think that over the years, I've began to be less tolerant of some things...mainly stupid, ignorant, and ill-mannered people. It blows me away at their actions and some of the things that come out of their mouths. Also, when people say that they're going to do something, then do it dammit! There are just so many talkers out there. If you're going to talk the talk, then hell, you better walk the walk, too, ya'll know what I'm saying? My patience wears thin, but I find myself doing that whole "Hoo-sah" thang like in Bad Boys II to calm myself down. There are A LOT of things that I can take, but in anything and everything, there's only so much I can take as well.

In any case, not to dwell on the negatives, Arians make good friends and are also known to make sacrifices for loved ones. In the workplace, Aries people usually do not seek monetary rewards, but rather inner satisfaction. Well, they got THAT right 'cuz there sure ain't that much to make in teaching! When it comes down to it, and any other teacher out there will back me up, it's really about the kids and making a difference in their lives. Heck, when I was still teaching catechism at my old church, I enjoyed that MORE than I did at my after school job...and teaching CCD was volunteer! You know, if money wasn't an issue and it wasn't for the fact that we've got bills to pay, I would do it for free.

Well, now ya'll know a little bit more about MnM...or, Arian people for that matter. Does that profile fit the MnM that you know? Let me know 'cuz maybe I just don't see it. Hahaha, btw: another downside of the Aries sign is that they do not take criticism, however constructive it may be, very well....supposedly. So be gentle! ;-)

Birthday Shout-Outs

Yesterday, the 20th of January, was my Pop's 62nd birthday. I got a chance to talk to him briefly while he was at the office to wish him a great day. After his surgeries last year, my dad has turned to a better and healthier lifestyle- yay for him! Turns out that he walks his treadmill daily and watches what he eats...something that he didn't do before. I'm so very thankful that he's recovered so well and I pray that he'll have many many more birthdays to come. Happy 62nd Birthday Dad!

Also wanted to wish Kuya Sam a happy birthday today. I met Sam during my Barangay years- I was in high school and he was a student at Cal Berkeley. He took up the role as "kuya" and I've been calling him that ever since. We danced with Barangay together and even made the switch to with Edwina to form Larawan Dance Company. When I got to SF State, he transferred over to finish up his program and we even worked together for PCN. I think it was those couple years at State together that we became closer and even though he moved back to Southern Cal, we still keep in touch. Happy birthday Sam...gosh, is it your 34th already?! Hope you're feeling better and ready to hit the clubs tonight! Much love!

No comments: