Monday, January 05, 2004

Brrrrrrr!

Yes, so I haven't bitched about the weather as of late. Honestly, it hasn't been THAT cold to me. Okay, so it doesn't help that I'm usually in the comfort of my lil' abode of an apartment where the heater is blasting from the moment I go to sleep to the moment I awake. Plus, out of all the things in this apartment that works the best, it's the heater- yah, that's one helluva good thing! It can get so warm up in here that hubby can lounge around in shorts! Um, not me. I'm the cold one. I'm the one that needs double and triple blankets...the one that needs to wear thermals when venturing outside...the one that needs to accessorize with a fleece knit cap, a fleece scarf, leather gloves, a poofy jacket, and double socks and STILL be cold! What usually happens is that around 3 or 4ish in the morning, I'd get out of bed, take that short walk from the master bedroom to the thermostat, switch the "heat" to "off," and on my return trip to the bedroom, it ain't nothing but vinyl tiles...COLD vinyl tiles. I then climb into bed, snuggle up to my personal human blanket, and do the Rogue-thang from X-Men and wait for hubby's heat to transfer to me. Hee hee, just another thang husbands are good for...warming up their wife! =) Why is it that men are always so warm?! Hubby always takes one for the team and lets me put my freezing hands underneath his shirt or my cold feet on his. It's hubby who insists that we leave the heater on all throughout the night for MY benefit, not his. What a guy, eh?

Don't talk to me about being acclimated to the cold...nah uh. Ain't nothing normal for this California native to be trudging along in below zero weather...the moment I take a deep breath outside, I feel like my lungs are icing over! Y'know that cool and fresh feeling you get when you chew Ecclipse gum? Or how about those Listerine squares that you let melt in your mouth? Well, just imagine about 10 packets of each in your mouth, but all at the same time! This isn't a joke. It's seriously that cold over here.

Yesterday has to be D-Day, THE coldest I have ever, ever felt in my whole entire life! After getting our praise on at church, hubby and I head to a work site in downtown Minneapolis. I get dropped off at Borders to bide my time and when hubby is done, I tell him that I'll wait for him outside. Outside. Now remember all them accoutrements that I need to suit up for the cold? Well, I wasn't completely prepared. In the 3-5 minutes that I waited for hubby, I swear, I literally could not speak. My insides were numb. I could feel the cold from the pavement move through the soles of my shoes and the gloves I was wearing didn't do jack for me. It was so cold that my teeth couldn't even chatter and if I were ever to have any kind of frostbite, the first things to go would be either my pinky fingers or my pinky toes! By the time hubby came around, it took me about five minutes to defrost myself. On the real though, it is fricken' cold out here.

Current temps outside: 0 degrees
Current wind chill: -19 degrees

So I guess you know what that means in Minnesota, eh? 'Tis a perfect day to go ice fishing!!! (Aw hell no!)

No comments: