Friday, January 23, 2004

And So It Begins...again!

The past few days, we've been having all these major weather advisory alerts. It hasn't snowed much this month, but with the temps dropping to as low as -33, well hell, it might as well, you know? The locals over here have told us that the "snow is a 'comin." Well, last night it came. It didn't come in full force yet, but when I went with hubby out to a job site last night, we already saw two car accidents. These fools over here just do not know how to drive for the life of them, I swear! It's scary when the car starts slippin' though. I get all nervous and try to maintain my regular path of breathing to calm myself. Thankfully, we got to our destinations and back home again safely.

This morning was a winter wonderland. The sight of untouched snow is really beautiful to me. Makes you want to bundle up and play around outside...kinda. As I write this, the only sounds you can hear from outside are the busy snowplows doin' their thang outside. I'll admit, it's fascinating to watch them clear the roads. I don't know why. Probably 'cuz it's still something that you don't see everyday if you're a CA native.

I'll admit though. I have been quite disappointed. People have been telling us that this winter is going to be a long one- the past few years have been "mild." Maybe in my eyes, I'm expecting a blizzard. In a weird and twisted way, I want to see snow 2-3 feet high! I want to see cars buried deep and kids rejoicing outside because school was closed for the day. Perhaps it's just that inner child thang wanting to make a snowman. A real snowman, mind you, nothing like the mini-alien one I made during our first snow in November. Maybe a part of me wants to see how it is to be "snowbound." (3rd grade history reference ya'll...a well-known American poet named John Greenleaf Whittier wrote a poem about the love for his family and the memories he had growing up. It includes the times when it snowed so much that they could not leave the house and hence, the title "Snowbound." Okay...moving on...) Schools here have snow days, but they also close down when it gets too damn cold! The wind chill factor is a major threat over here. (Sidenote: a teacher had a question to one of those weather columnists in the paper as to how cold it can be to still allow kids to play outside. Response: "in the past, it was deemed safe to have kids out with a wind chill factor of -15. But now, it's been changed to -10." Now, I know that kids have that extra oomfph of energy and warmth, etc, but c'mon people, that's freakin' cold! I'll tell you this- when I do get my own classroom and the weather is negative outside, sorry kids, we is a'staying inside! Mrs. Myra is way too cold for this sh*t!

So the wind chill factor is a major threat over here. Each night on the news, there's some kind of tip on how to deal with frostbite. Dude, frostbite?! Apparently, frostbite can occur within a matter of a few minutes. I was not aware. And ya'll know what parts of the body are the first to go? The nose and the ears. Nah uh. Not me. Again, there goes yet another reason why I choose to hibernate during these winter months. If I don't have to leave the warm comforts of my home, I won't. And about all of those people ice fishing in the middle of them lakes...crazy mf's...all of 'em.

Have a great weekend ya'll...be healthy and be safe. much love...

No comments: