Monday, October 27, 2003

Snow Flurry
No, not the McFlurry from Mickey D's, but actual falling snow! I haven't seen my first flurry yet, but apparently since the weather and ground aren't cold enough, the snow just melts. The forecast right now is rain all over the state of Minnesota. Freezing cold rain, that is. The rest of the week is calling for rain mixed with snow- and in northern parts of MN is already expecting few inches of snow by tonight. The cold is a different kind of cold. It goes straight to the bones. Locals keep telling us that the past few winters haven't been that bad, mild, was the word they used. Although it's gets to about 30 below zero, it's really about bundling up. Hubby was reassuring me that it won't be as bad as I'm suspecting. (Yah, I'm thinking HELLA cold! Anything below zero is just TOO cold!) LOL- 'tisn't like we have to walk 10 miles anywhere! True dat. Still though. So since they've had mild winters, some are thinking this is going to be a long winter. Long. Long as in snow starting in October and not melting til about April! Aw man, I tell you...if we can get thru this winter without any loss of limbs from frostbite or any major sicknesses, I'll be one happy camper.

DigiCam
Yay! We finally got one! Hubby added another gadget to his pile of toys. On our drive back from church, I took the liberty of shooting the scenery and although most came up blurry, there were some cool "artistic" shots. Artistic = clear, not blurry, somewhat decent for 1st time digital cam user, cool pics. Hubby is working on a gallery link on his blog. Hopefully ya'll will be able to see pics of our new place soon. Check out Doh-boy and click on gallery.

Dinner Party
Last night we had our first visitors! This is a big thing since we finished cleaning up our place- 'member the whole kalat issue? Well, kalat no more! Actually, we were supposed to have our small group meeting dinner at our place last Fri. But get this...originally it was supposed to be 8-10 adults with 4 kids altogether. 4 kids. 4 jumpy, loud, hyper, kids who run around and don't seem to listen to their parents. Great. So hubby and I braced ourselves (and our place!) for these lil' rugrats. We get an email a few days before and we learn that another family is going to be joining us. A family with 3 more girls! So if my math is correct, that is 7 kids.....all under the age of 7 years old! Um, okay, as much as we'd like to have people over, our place isn't designed for 7 kids. So we skipped out on having dinner at our place. Last night, we had the DeJesus fam over. They're the fam from Southern Cal and honestly, they're the coolest people we've met thus far out here in MN. They've got two lil' kids, aged 10 and 6, and they reminded me Bina and Nico. 'Twas probably the age gap between the two and how well they get along. We were all talkin' about the whole Pinoy issue out here- meaning, what's up with all the Pinoys we've met so far?! Not that this is a majorly big deal, but most of the Pinoys here in MN are straight from PI... fresh off the boat...whatever you want to call it. I don't say that in a demeaning way. I mean, hey, my parents and the rest of my family were in their shoes once. Plus, more power to them for making their way to the States after a long, hard struggle back in PI. Ain't nothin' wrong with wanting the American dream realized, right? But the people we've met here are, well, gee, I don't know quite how to explain it. There's always been the American-born vs. PI-born issue. I feel that our fellow brutha and sistas over here "look down" on us....y'know, 'cuz we're not Filipino enough...'cuz we were born in the States...'cuz we don't speak the language...'cuz we don't cook Filipino food. Who says how our Filipino-ness is determined? Just 'cuz I don't speak the language and wasn't born in PI?! I don't think so. Some of the most Filipino people that I know are also the whitest people- straight coconut: brown on the outside, white on the inside. Whatever. I'm tired of tryin' to explain- "I was born and raised in San Francisco and although I don't speak the language, I can understand it." And on top of that, I was raised in the culture, brought up to appreciate my heritage, can fully understand what it means to grow up Filipino, and consider myself Filipino. I wish these people would get off our back! And you wonder why Filipinos are not a united people...

No comments: