Friday, October 24, 2003

Missin' Home
I try to call the family back in CA at least once a week to see how they're doing. Talked to mom and pops earlier in the week. Dad is practically back to his old self since his surgeries. Does his own rehab by walkin' the threadmill daily and thank God, he hasn't smoked. 'Twas about to say thank God that he hasn't gotten "the urge" to smoke, but changed my mind. I'm sure the urge is there, but good ole' mom will make damn sure that doesn't happen. Did I share that my mom actually brought her camera on the day of his open-heart? Once Dad was in ICU, she started snappin' away! Her plan was to capture how my dad looked with all these tubes down his throat and IV's stuck all in him that whenever he'd get an urge to smoke, she'd "remind" him why it was a bad idea. Smart lady...so far, the plan has worked! Anyways, talked with mom a bit about the weather and school before she morphed into lecture-mode about staying healthy amid the cold and eating better. "Yes mom. Uh huh. Yah, I bring my jacket with me. No, I haven't bought any thermals yet. Oh, they're on sale at Mervyns? Okay, I'll check it out. Yes mom, I already trim the fat off the meat. No, I'm not using too much salt. No, we haven't been eating out- haven't had McDonald's in a long time." (um, doesn't need to know the truth about that one!) After about 5 minutes of that, she hands the phone to my dad. Now, my dad isn't really one to talk for so long. Usually when he answers, he'll ask, "Hello? Who's this? My daughter, which one? hahaha! Oh? You're doing okay? Rando is fine, too? Good, good! Okay, here's your mom." Very typical conversation. This time, we actually talked about other things. Since they were about to have dinner, we said our goodbyes and right before he hung up, he said, "Okay, I love you, hah? You take care of yourself." Aw man! Talk about instant tears to my eyes! Whew- even as I write this, I need a tissue! I guess you have to know my dad. He's not one to really express himself like that. Rarely does he utter those words to us. It felt so good to hear those words. I hung up and cried for a bit. I miss my mom and dad.

Called my sister last night to say hello and see how her fam is doing. Got to talk to the lil' rugrats, Bina and Nico. Nico is really starting to talk more now! Now although I couldn't understand all that he was saying, I did hear, "Hi Ninang Mywa!" and "I'm writing in my notebook (Blues Clues) and we're watching Friends and bye Ninang!" It was the most adorable thing! He handed the phone to big sis and Bina started to tell me about her new boyfriend. She's in 1st grade, by the way. I asked what happened to her old boyfriend, and she gave me a sigh and said, "Oh him? He's acting too crazy or something." Oh girl...wait until you're older!... Don't you just miss the good ole' days when life was just simpler?

Also got to call my homegirl, Mrs. Sharon. There's just something about hearing the voice of one of your friends that really brighten up your day. 'Tis been a while since we last talked, but it seemed only yesterday that we did. Those are the kinds of friendships that I love. Pickin' up where you last left off. We did the whole updating each other thang...told me what's happening out at Cornerstone and I told her about the happenings in MN. Made me really miss our lil' talks over Starbucks! Maybe it's 'cuz hubby was gettin' sentimental today about how he misses hangin' out with his boys, but it sure made me miss hangin' out with my friends, too! I totally miss the Cornerstone crew, the Lapids and the rest of the Hustler gang, lil' bro Phil, Ms Penny, and Firefighter Jon. Honestly, it just ain't the same. But the one true test of friendship, I think, is time and distance. If ya'll can withstand that, then as hubby would say, it's all gravy.

Prayer requests
Kuya Sam. Good friend of mine who I've known for almost 12 years just had open-heart surgery. Something to do with a broken valve. I don't know all the details, but the situation could've been worse. Heard that the surgery went without complications- Thank God! He's only 33. Please keep him in your prayers for a speedy recovery...so he can get his groove back on the dancefloor when he's ready. Hang in there Kuya Sam!

No comments: