Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Reject Letter


I'm almost too embarrassed to admit this. I mean, it won't be the first of its kind to reach my door, but still. As many of you know, MnM has been in search for any school employment that has now proved to be futile in my eyes. I'm resigned to the fact that I must complete the Masters program and take all the necessary tests to become licensed in MN before any school will take a serious look at my resume.


In the meantime, there hasn't been much to complain about with all the time I have to work on school. I have my own schedule, I can sleep and wake up whenever I want, and hell, I don't have to change out of my pj's if I don't want to! To be honest, and as much as I enjoy my "busy schedule," I have this desire to "contribute." Contribute, as in make some money to help pay the bills. Hubby has been so great and hasn't pressured me to find a job. According to him, I don't need one at this point, but on the real, it's weird not to be working considering that I've always worked since I was 14. From the church rectory, Wells Fargo Bank, Carlton Cards, Arkipelago Books (then Sulu Books), to the SFState bookstore and Cornerstone...I've always been employed at one point or another. So seeing that it has been an entire year plus that I haven't worked (egads, is it really that long that we've been here?!), I thought that it was time to look for at least a part-time job doing something.


The something that I chose was a part-time job at Barnes & Noble. Turns out that they're opening up a new store and a job fair was held to find candidates worthy to work there.


Worthy, my ass. C'mon! We've all been to a Borders or B&N and many of the people who work there don't seem to be busting their ass over anything! Sure, it may require some muscle to shelve those books, but most of the people I see are usually chitchatting at the registers. It's not as if they're working on commission and have to make a sale, you know?


So I went to the job fair, had my 1st and 2nd interviews, had to mask my horror as they told me that the job only paid $6.75 an hour, and smiled my smile that would supposedly win them over.


Well, the letter came yesterday. It wasn't even on letterhead! Honestly, I wasn't holding my breath over this job. It's come to the point where I went through the process of being semi-humiliated to having a screw it mentality, to now not really giving a rat's ass.


The way I see it? I'm overqualified. Definitely. No doubt.


The discount sure would've been nice though, wouldn't it???

No comments: