Sunday, September 12, 2004

All I'm Saying Is...


...it ain't hard to respect sh*t that ain't yours.


Maybe I'm a tad bit overprotective of all things mine. I don't consider myself to be stingy...unless we're talking M&Ms. I'd like to think that my teachers marked the "shares well with others" category of my report cards. But something seriously gets under my skin when people borrow something that belongs to ME, continue to use it in ways aside from its main purpose, and then casually discard it to the side when the fun and games are done.


Let me get some things off my chest.


Filipino folk dancing is a love of mine. In my naive and selfish younger years, I was too relunctant to join a dance company because I thought it would be embarrassing to be barefoot. Barefoot, wearing funky looking clothes, and doing folk dances. Didn't seem to be high on the cool meter at the time. But as I immersed myself into my culture through movement and song, I slowly began to realize how rich and beautiful it was. I began to learn about the different kinds of dances that derived from places in the Philippines that I probably will never visit. I came to understand the meaning and history of the dances, the symbolism of certain hand movements, and as a result, had the opportunity to see what it means to be a Filipino.


If and when the opportunity presents itself to drop some knowledge of the Philippine culture and history, I'm always glad to oblige. If it is through dance, even better. I love to share what I know. I am so distantly far from being an expert on anything Filipino folk dance related and I don't try to pass it off like I do. BUT with the years experience that I have behind me on top of my love for it, it is more than enough to announce that I take it seriously.


Perhaps it was the discipline that came with dancing with two prominant folk dance groups from San Francisco...or maybe it was just common sense. But we were taught to ALWAYS take care of our costumes. First of all, they don't come cheap. Even if they are not authentic Philippine made, that just means that someone had to bust their ass over the sewing machine for them. If someone wears a costume, it is their responsibility to take precautions to care for it. (Perhaps the constant nagging to "be careful" went in one ear and out the other???) Second of all, a skirt is a skirt is a skirt. Same thing goes for a bandana. Lastly, respect it for what it is. In its simplest form, it IS a skirt...but it's a skirt used for a folk dance...potentially to be used again...to represent our culture.


Whenever I wear a costume and perform, I am representing my culture. It's something that I'm proud to do each time. Sure, I may be distracted by the next figure eight, if my costume is falling off, if my partner remembers his next move, if my bun is staying in place, etc, but what it comes down to is PRIDE. Yes, many times after I have performed, I have rushed to the nearest bathroom to change into my regular clothes. But each time that I did, I always made sure that the costumes were returned the way that I got them. When I see costumes discarded on a table or stashed quickly into a bag, something ain't right...and that doesn't sit well with me.


I don't expect everyone to have the same mentality when it comes to folk dancing. It's just me. But when I share something that means a lot to me and any part of that is dissed in any way, shape, or form, I begin to think that it might've been a mistake to share the knowledge in the first place.


Now I know that this venting session of mine may strike a chord with a particular few. Honestly, it's all good now. I'm over it. I ain't hatin' on anyone or anything. Next time, be a bit more respectful. Don't get it twisted that this b*tch session was focused on the costumes. More than the costumes itself, it's what they represent.


p.s.
Ya'll don't want to have MnM get in your faces now, do we??? ;-)

No comments: