Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Back to School Blues


Though I've been back in class for a couple of weeks already, I'm totally not feeling it. The class isn't interesting enough and my classmates just talk way too much! Thank goodness that it's only a 4-week class, but geez, I was looking forward to something a bit more exciting. I'm taking a Social Studies / Fine Arts class. I love Social Studies and I loved teaching it. But this class sucks. I'm not sure if it's the content, the instructor, or the people. Maybe it's a combination of both. Whatever it is, I'm already counting down to the last day of class. I don't even think I've got enough energy to B.S. my way through the final project. Crap. Just two more weeks and I'm free.


Barbershop 101


I never said I could cut hair. I mean, I don't even trust myself with scissors and my own hair unless it's taking out split ends. I still have the embarrassing evidence of my 2nd grade class picture when I thought it would cool to trim my own bangs. Big mistake. Huge.


If ya'll remember, hubby has been quite dissatisfied with many of the barbers over here. He's even tried going to the upscale salons where they offer you tea or coffee, but he is yet to come out smiling in the end. Seems that hubby is tired, tired, tired. He want to take matters into his own hands...er, my hands. Went to Target and bought himself a clipper/haircutting kit. He's stoked. He's excited. Says, "Wouldn't it be cool if you could learn how to fade my hair?" Yah, I think. But I have absolutely no clue how to do it.


The kit comes with an instructional dvd. I watch it closely taking note of the different techniques used. Hubby says it ain't hard. Um, yah, okay, if you say so. As I'm watching, my confidence builds up and I think to myself, "Yah..how hard can it be? I can do this!"


We grab a stool and make a place in the bathroom. Hubby dons the plastic body cover as I lay out the different size guards. Hubby decides that we'll start with a one and fade up as we go. As soon as the buzzing begins, my fears start to creep in. Hubby has this look of confidence on his face that I wish I could exude. Then he says, "Well, if you mess up, I'll just shave my head. I don't want to shave it, but if I have to, I will." Great.


Seems like it starts of okay. No blood. No funky out of the way lines. So far, so good. When it got time to start fading, that's where hubby's face falls. Seems that I can't get the hang of the concept; I'm either cutting too much off or not enough off. After a while, hubby looks so blown and has this resigned facial expression as if to say, "Good Lord, why did I let this woman use the clippers on me?" I felt bad, I really did!


A ray of hope came when hubby actually said, "Hey, that was nice! That looks really good!" Nevermind that it was already near the end of the session. In all honesty, I don't think he likes it. And I'm totally okay with him not asking me to fade his hair ever again. It can't be that bad though...he didn't shave it off!


Belated Birthday Wishes to....


My blog! Yes, Dakilang Pilipina turned ONE this past August and hubby thought I should acknowledge the fact. I distinctly remember when I first heard about the blogging world and I had made the decision right then and there that I would NOT participate in having one. Aiya...call it peer pressure or call it boredom as we were settling into Minnesota.


In any case, here's a little flashback for ya'll. This was my third post ever and my reasons for naming the blog what it is.


Dakilang Pilipina
What is "Dakilang Pilipina?" I actually got this from the title of a PCN at UC Berkeley. It's funny how two words can have so much meaning. From my understanding, it translates to "A woman of might; a woman of strength." In my opinion, it is so deserving that "Pilipina" is attached to it. Dakilang Pilipina is the embodiment of every mother, daughter, ate, tita, and lola that I know. It embraces the many different obstacles, sacrifices, every trial and tribulation that we Pilipinas have endured. Pilipinas are known to be strong women. We are the pillars of strength in the family. And when LIFE knocks us down, WE get up again.


I have chosen this as a name for this blog because Dakilang Pilipina is what I strive to be every day of my life. I feel that in my 29 years of existence, I have definitely had my share of obstacles. I have fallen and been kicked down so many times that honestly, the act of getting up again seems impossible at times. It is so much easier to give in and give up. But I don't. I always remember the saying, "What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger." Gee, if I could get a nickel for everytime I've said that, I'd be rich! Okay, not rich...hell, not even close to rich, but you get the jist of what I'm saying. I've had my share of good days and not-so-good days. Although I do remind myself of that lil' saying many times, I have a new quote that I would rather live by: "If God brings you to it, God will pull you through it." I don't know where it originated. Think I got it on a forward through email. Those words and the fact that I have faith in the Almighty One bring me comfort and strength to go on.


Dakilang Pilipina- a woman of might, a woman of strength. That's me.

No comments: