Monday, September 20, 2004

Fold, Call, or Raise


Although it's been around for a long time, it seems to me that only until recently, hella people have been getting into it. Sure, hubby and I are among the many who watch Celebrity Poker Showdown and/or Texas Hold 'Em series, but I never thought I'd get into it.


I remember when I first learned how to play poker. 'Twas back in the day when my cousins would hang out at our house to play basketball in my backyard with my dad. Yah, we had a hoop in our yard. We had an actual backboard attached to a long ass wooden pole that my dad had to dig into the ground. He even took some white paint and made the half-court lines! Okay, digressing too much... My cousins would bring over their gangster friends who, by the way, were SO polite in my parents' presence that you'd never guess that they were the same houligans hanging out in the Mission or some other place to terrorize and gang up on other people all up in their colors and cigarette burns. No joke. A couple of them taught me how to play Russian poker and although there was no betting involved, it was my first experience with the game.


Fast forward to today. We've been watching a lot of TV poker and hubby has even engaging in some online play, too. I finally loaded up a Texas Hold 'Em game on my laptop and as addicting as it is, I'm proud to say that I cleared the entire table on my third try! Now it ain't anything to be worried about 'cuz it's not like I'm betting real money. Playing mah jong, haha, now that may be a different story! On the real, it's my new and fun distraction. I don't see myself actually playing in a real game, but if I did, I'd like to think I'd be decent. Oh well...'tis best to stick with playing against the computer!


Shout-Outs


- Belated Happy Birthday to Part I who celebrated her 31st this past Saturday! After having moved from New York to California, Part I was the new girl in school in 6th grade. Because we were seated alphabetically back in the day, we sat next to each other and became inseparable ever since. Boy, looking back, we got ourselves into a lot of trouble during our gallivanting adventures. 'Twas a good thing that my parents loved her 'cuz whenever she offered any explanations of what we'd done or where we've gone, they ate it all up! I know, I know...that's bad, but hey, we were young. The Part I nickname stems from the movie "Summer School." For some odd reason, we loved that movie and if you've ever seen it, there are these two teens who do practically everything together. Well, that was us. Part I and Part II. Inside joke. Anyways, after our 8th grade graduation, (or more like the day right after!), her family moved to Vegas. (And no, she's NOT a showgirl! Hahaha, homegirl is way too short for that!) She's been there ever since, but in the times that we've kept in touch, it's always picking up where we left off. The last time I saw her was probably about 2 1/2 years ago, but time and distance is never a factor in our friendship. It's been 18 years and going strong...damn, are we that old already??? Happy 31st Birthday, D! Much love...


- Sports Center deserves a shout-out here simply because they have the best highlights, flashbacks, and overall, they're just the best damn sports program out there. We weren't able to watch SF Giants Barry Bonds' historical #700 live, but we got to enjoy the moment nonetheless this morning. Better late than never, eh? It was awesome and even though we were glued to the game that they played in Milwaukee (just a hop, skip, and a jump from where we are!), I was glad that he was able to hit it at home in da Bay. Congrats Barry and thank you Sports Center!

No comments: