Monday, August 09, 2004

Wedding Update


So I spent my entire Friday night tying 100 perfect, little blue ribbons. Perfect. Yes, they are perfect. Took me 5 freakin' hours to achieve such perfection, mind you. 5 hours! By 2am in the morning, the tips of my thumbs and pointer fingers were raw to the touch. For some odd reason, I simply couldn't get them done on the first try. Maybe I'm not as adept as I thought I was or perhaps I was beginning to question exactly why I'm doing this. Wait. Oh yah. I remember now.


I was left with two more steps: glue-gun them suckers onto the heart-shaped photo magnets and place the heart-shaped cutouts of their names inside. 'Twasn't a total bitch to do, but still. I was fricken elated out of my mind when I completed the last one. Quite an achievement...considering. I can seriously do without lil' blue ribbons dancing around in my head now. Onward to the next project...shiet.


Luis Palau Festival


If you read hubby's blog, you might've read that "awesome" and "powerful" were the words of the day. It's difficult to sum it up without using those adjectives. Although it was a two-day event, hubby and I opted for Sunday. We figured that we'd rest a bit after church and head out for the evening program. The program would consist of Luis Palau sharing a message, and a free concert by Toby Mac and Third Day. Plus, throughout the event site, there were booths galore.



By the time we got there, the humidity level was just ghastly. Not only was it about 85 degrees out, but the air was so heavy that it kinda took your breath away. Now imagine being in shoulder to shoulder crowds of sticky, sweaty bodies either desperately trying to push their way to the front or just pushing in general. And not everyone was as "sure" as they should've been, if you know what I mean. Yah...ewwww. But all that aside, there's the one reason why this crowd of approximately 120,000 were congregated...Jesus.

These crowds weren't just for Christians or Catholics. It wasn't for any one type of religion or denomination. Hell, I'm sure there were many non-believers out there curious to know what the hoopla about this Jesus dude is all about. If I was just a passerby on the street, I wouldn't be able to guess, based on face value, what type of event this was. There were your basic Bible toting folks with their children in tow. But then you had the skater boys and girls with the unruly and punked out hair. Then you had the tattooed-out people with their multiple pierces. The crowd was probably the most diverse I have seen Minnesota ever and yet, we all had one thing in common.


Hubby and I made our way closer to the stage, but for the other hundreds of people, they preferred to view the huge monitor screens located around the capitol grounds. The event, btw, was held right smack dab in the front of the capitol building in St. Paul. I've told hubby that I've always wanted to attend a Christian festival like this and to be at a concert where everyone had their eyes closed with their hands lifted up. The featured artists were dope! 'Tis nothing compared to the old songs you hear in church. I swear, it was like Linkin' Park singin' praise and worship tunes. Everyone was rockin' out, jumping up and down, boppin' their heads, and oh my goodness, some fools even tried to crowd surf. I was telling hubby I wasn't about to man-handle anyone coming our way. Hubby said the exact same thing. As hubby would say, "I came to get my Lord on!" Ain't nothing in the program about helpin' some kid make their way across the crowds like that. And other people had the same idea. Lo and behold, two bodies came our way. For the chick that passed directly over hubby, hubby simply took a step my way and she practically hit the pavement! DOH! Okay, I know that ain't funny...but it was! A little bit more down the line, she finally fell. Pshhh....oh well.


At one point, Third Day slowed it down with a couple of contemporary ballads. But before that, he asked the crowd if he could have some silence. He said he'd countdown from 3 and when he got to 1, he wanted silence. At one, it was quiet enough to hear the bugs flying around. He then asked us to all bow our heads and he led us in a prayer. That was the most awesome thing...a crowd of 120,000, heads bowed, eyes closed. It was such a powerful moment.


We left right before the concert ended 'cuz we didn't want to deal with the crowds. In those few hours that we were there, we were able to listen, share, and just be with a whole bunch of other "Jesus freaks." To see so many people of different ages and races come together for such an event was truly inspiring. I don't know when we'll have the opportunity to attend something like this, but all I know is when the opportunity presents itself, we'll be there. All in all, it was amazing, awesome, powerful, inspiring. I'm so glad we went.


Things I'm Looking Forward To

Phantom of the Opera...done.

Luis Palau festival...done.

San Francisco...here I come!

*Hey hubby...I wish you were coming with me! I'll be missing and thinking about you...love you!*

No comments: