Saturday, August 14, 2004

Back in da Bay


My stay in the Bay is slowly coming to an end already. In five more days, I'll be back in MN and it'll be hubby's turn for a CA trip. This trip to the City was really an impulsive decision, almost totally last minute. I told practically everyone who I wanted to see that I was coming except for the parents. I thought it might be nice to try and surprise them.



My sis and kids picked me up from the airport. They rang the bell to my parents' house and when my mom answered, they yelled, "Lola, we have a surprise for you! We have a surprise for you!" My mom, playing along in their lil' game responds, "Oh, what's my surprise?" All this time, I'm hiding at the bottom of the stairway trying to contain my laughter that would probably give me away. When I hear my mom's cue "what's my surprise?", I emerge from my spot and yell, "SURPRISE!" Man, ya'll should've seen my mom's face! Her eyes bugged out and she had this huge smile on her face- totally priceless! I ran up to give her a big hug and she continues to ask when I got in, etc, and even says that she was just about to call me in MN. Well, no need anymore, I say. Not knowing if my dad was home, I went to the car to get my bags. (by the way, mom, is it okay that I sleep over? lol!) I'm lugging my bag up the stairs and I ask if pops is home and he is. I head to the kitchen and do my lil' "suprise!" act and he plays around (tho I don't think it's funny to joke about this kind of stuff...considering that he did have a bypass and all...) that "oh my God, you're going to give me a heart attack!" This, of course, was said with all smiles. The surprise strategy worked and looks of my parents' faces was so totally worth it.



The rest of the night was spent hanging out, playing with the kids, watching the kids get all hyper and sing silly songs. Such entertainment, I tell you! =) As I lay in bed in my old room that night, it all felt strangely familiar to be home again. My room looks nothing like it did before. It's become a guest room, a TV room, a computer room. No evidence that MnM ever slept in that room for 25+ years. *Sigh* It took me a while to finally get to sleep- not only was it c-c-c-old, but it was just different to be without hubby next to me.



Day One



Though my parents didn't have a clue of my visit, I was banking on the notion that my dad would let me borrow his Jeep for the day- score! After breakfast, the first on my agenda was to head to the beach. It was such an overcast and foggy day. I was debating whether or not I should head to Target to buy a sweatshirt or whatnot. Goodness, how come I didn't prepare for the city fog?! I mean, how in the world could I forget?! Fortunately when I got to Ocean Beach, there was no wind whatsoever and it made for a somewhat perfect day.



I made my way to the water's edge and the first thing I did was call hubby on my cell. When he answered, I just said, "Listen!" as I held the phone out towards the waves. I wasn't trying to make him jealous, I just wanted to share the moment with him is all.




I became entranced with a bunch of crows and seagulls. Damn scavengers. It was eerie 'cuz there were just so many looming around, almost circling a rotting carcass or something. I took out my digital to take a couple pics. As the waves broke, I noticed a lil' crab that washed up. I leaned down and was just about to pick it up for a closer look when tiny crab legs shot out from underneath! Poor thing kept getting pounded by the surf...



After walking up and down the shore, I started making other calls to potential peoples I could visit today. I got a hold of Ms. Penny and we arranged to walk around Lake Merced. Ha. We ended up eating an early lunch at AKAGI'S! Can I just say YUM?! Oh man, hubby and I haven't found any good Japanese places in the Twin Cities and the place that we go to was just too pricey. How do you beat Akagi's $5.50 bento box meals? Actually, you can't. No can do. Considering that hubby and I were regular patrons at this establishment, (yes, the 'regular' please...) we were basically blown when we couldn't find anything similar out in MN. In fact, there were just so many different kinds of food that we would have to do without until our next visits to the Bay, namely Filipino, Hawaiian, Japanese, and Mexican. (people people, there are 100x better burrito places than this Chipotle!)



Lunch with Ms. Penny, well, anytime with Ms. Penny is always filled with smiles and laughter! Seems like each time I visit the Bay, she's the first I actually get to hang out with. My homegirl on the real. It was great to catch up, hear the latest gossip, and to hear about all the preparations for her upcoming wedding. Wow. Ms. Penny and Mr. Stud Muffin are finally, FINALLY going to tie the knot!


Quick Rewind


After lunch with the future Mrs. Gee, I went home to change before I was off to Cornerstone. The couple hours I was there was spent catching up, hearing about the latest changes the school is going through while Mrs. Sharon set up her class. From there, I headed to Apu's place (my dad's mom) and honestly, I think I should've called before....by the look on Apu's face when she saw me, I said one of them silent prayers that her heart would contain all the excitement. It was so sweet tho! The entire time we talked, she held my hand. She made me promise that before I head back to MN that I would have dinner there...like I'm going to refuse my Apu! lol! After my brief visit with Apu, Lola and Lolo were next on the list (mom's side). My reception from them wasn't as huggy huggy, but nevertheless, it was cool to just hang out with the grandparents. I did feel I was interrupting their "TV Patrol" viewing pleasure, but still, I don't think I've ever really visited them on my own before. It was cool. It was nice.


The Lovebirds


After driving around da City visiting folks, I had a brief time to get ready at home before dinner. I was going to be meeting with the lovebirds at E Komo Mai.


E Komo Mai. Hubby and my favorite place. Our special place. It's actually where we had our "first date." Imagine my horror when I drove up to find that it's been closed down for business! Boo! Totally and utterly bummed. I'm guessing business wasn't doing too well, but still, it just seems like the little hole in the wall places are THE BEST places to eat...and now it's gone. Boo.


We need a plan B. I call up the firemarshall and he suggests Ling Nam. Well, if I can't have my Hawaiian, Pinoy food has got to be the next best thing.


By the time I get there, the lovebirds are already there. Although I haven't seen them both since March, I feel like we talk and see each other everyday! We seat ourselves and as we're talking, I'm distracted by this glare coming from the firemarshall's left side. Egads! I totally forgot that he got his ear pierced! And perhaps it was the particular way he had his hair that night, but he could totally be a member of some boy band! Lol! Ah yes...and so began the sarcastic remarks, sassy comments, and attempted put-downs that I miss so much and are so much sweeter to execute in person. Plus, with Rho at his side, there is more of a fearlessness to his remarks that would otherwise be absent normally. Lol! It's all good tho...all clean fun, people! On the real, I miss this fool whom I call my bestest buddy. 11 years of friendship and still going strong.


Of course, Rho and I had to tag-team and get on the firemarshall's case any chance we could. Even tho we haven't known each other long, Rho is like a long-lost girlfriend I've always had. We just click and get along so easily. It's like that. I had the greatest time hanging out. Our dinner was good too (pork asado siopao and tocilog), but I think that I was just being a bit too "madaldal" to finish up.


Since Rho had work the following day, I sent them on their way back south. 'Twas so great of them to come up to the City just for dinner! After such a busy day and seeing different folks, it was a great way to end my first day back.


Thanks, Lovebirds, for the Ling Nam dinner and hope ya'll are enjoying Hawaii for me!










No comments: