Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Bay Area in review


My days back in the Bay were few, but fun-filled nonetheless. For the most part, I spent the majority of my time in the East Bay hanging out with my sister and her family. We didn't have anything special planned, rather, we just hung out with the kids and reminisced and talked. We did, however, go see "Princess Diaries 2." It's a cute movie and the kids enjoyed it. Everytime I go home, it makes me realize how much I miss hanging out with my sis and the family. Albeit we call each other 1-2 times a week, it's still nothing compared to having heart to heart talks in person.


Here's a quick rundown of what I did the last few days before I left:


- Pistahan. I was excited when I found out that there'd be a Filipino festival going on the same time I was in town. 'Twas a great opportunity for me to snag some Pinoy gear and bring it back to the Midwest. I made arrangements to meet up with VirgoCapri (one of my oldest and bestest friends!) and her daughter and thank goodness I did! I have to say that I was not at all impressed with the event. Sure it was dope to be around so many of my brown peoples, but the event itself was disappointing- the booths, the variety, and even the show was mediocre. I guess after you've been to as many as I've had (and that's A LOT!), the wonder of it all dies out a bit. VirgoCapri and I ended up just talking and catching up...OH, and along with lil' Kai, there was a lot of "I Spy" as well. =)


- Family Reunion picnic. This is an annual event that started some 20 years ago. It started as a gathering of my Lola's (my mom's mom) 9 brothers and sisters and their families, both immediate and extended. It was a HUGE get-together that included organized games, family against family. At one point, the families were growing and multiplying that we all had to wear nametags! There are STILL 2nd, 3rd, and 4th cousins that I don't even know! Through the years and after many of the heads of the families had passed away, the attendance of these annual picnics have slowly diminished. There is a good dedicated few representing almost each family that comes every year. I really thought that I wouldn't make it this year, but surprise, surprise, I made it! It was great to see everybody, 'twas great to get some sun, and even better, VirgoCapri came out to hang out as well.


- ClaimJumpers. Finally had dinner with Keyopes, Ms. Voodoo, and Dimples. It's been quite a while since we've all gotten together, but nevertheless, it was GREAT to see them and hang out. We basically took turns sharing what's been happening in our lives thus far and filling in empty gaps of this or that. Back in the day, we'd do something silly like pass a sugar packet to whomever was speaking. It meant the holder of the sugar packet (or whatever the item was at the time!) had the floor and the rest of us would be all ears...no interrupting! Ha..like we could ever help that! It's crazy to look back at the sh*t that went down in our friendship, but it totally heals the soul to know that we can move beyond that now. At one point in our dinner, I took a quick survey of each galpal and it's amazing how much we've accomplished in our individual lives. Some of us are married, married with kids and/or stepkids, engaged to be married, and are successful career-minded ladies. We all have a path in life that can only get better here on out. I always get that warm feeling as I remember back to our college "gallivanting" and post-college partying days. Now that we're all 30 and above, our priorities in life may change, but I'm thankful that the friendship will always be there.


*Had a chance to go watch the Giants play at Pac Bell c/o Ms. Voodoo, but I had to pass because of the guilt trip my mom gave me for not being around. Boo.*


- Lunch with my O.G. Kumare. Now I've accumulated some "kumares" here and there, but this homegirl of mine is the one that started it all. Back in the day, I was part of her cotillion entourage and later became a bridesmaid at her wedding. She's the one that took me out with her friends during high school and who even helped get me my first job at Wells. Since she got married, we've been meaning to get together for lunch. Finally, finally, finally, I got to have lunch with her downtown. We had some yummy Japanese and talked story. 'Twas great to hang out and catch up.


- Going Away Party. Not a full fledged party, but a lil' dinner my Apu arranged for me the night before I left. My mom, pops, sister and family, and few cousins were there to eat and sing the night away. I was even given some pasalubong to bring back to hubby back in MN: 2 lbs. of tocino and 1 lb. of longanisa. Frozen. Mmmm....ang sarap!!! (note: my Apu knows that these are my FAVE!) Thanks Apu!




my Ate, my Apu, and MnM



- Cornerstone and Ms. Penny. Had to pass by my old work to pick up some paperwork and ended up staying 10 minutes to say my quick hellos and goodbyes to co-workers and friends. Then, last minute, finally had my Hawaiian plate lunch with Ms. Penny at L&L Barbeque. 'Tis funny, but everytime I come home to visit, Ms. Penny is ALWAYS the first and last person I see. Not complaining, mind you, just funny. Begins my trip with laughter and ends my trip with laughter. Perfect way to go.

No comments: