Monday, August 23, 2004

The Longest Days Ever

MnM has finally returned to Minnesota, to the world of blogging, and most importantly, high-speed internet. Damn I'm spoiled in that regard! Lol!


I arrived late Thursday night to temperatures as cool as the Bay. It seems that the weather is headed towards fall-cool already...dope. I'm done with all the humidity. Maybe it's just a fluke, but I'm enjoying the cool weather. Not totally ready for the w-w-winter, snow, and below zero temps just yet, but relieved that's it's letting up with the heat.


'Twas so great to see hubby again. Tho I was only gone for nine days, this time around seemed much longer. I missed hubby...and to think in a few days, it's his turn to visit CA.


My return to MN was far from relaxing. The next few days would be dedicated to wedding preparations...yes...THE wedding. Friday was spent driving around for last minute supplies and decorating the church and hall until 11pm-ish. The "three musketeers" would be back in the church the following morning (Saturday and D-Day) at 7am to finish up. Yes, the "three musketeers." Three, as in one, two, three. That's how many of us was in charge of setting up. Three to make this non-budget wedding look like a million bucks. Okay, million is going over the edge, but you get my drift. From the tiniest details to the most obvious ones, I have to say that we did a FABULOUS job! I was quite impressed, if I say so myself. My only complaint would be the bridesmaids' bouquets and the sponsors' boutinieres. Hey, after so many hours of trying to make everything look perfect AND being that it was three hours before the wedding (and we still had to go home, shower, and get ready!) AND being that by that time we were deliriously fatigued, we honestly didn't give a rat's ass on how nice the bouquets were anymore- we simply didn't care! I have to say, though, the bride's bouquet was beautiful.


The wedding itself was a success. The bride and groom made it through their vows and the party began...or so I heard. I, along with the church's army of volunteers, were too busy making sure everything ran smoothly. From bringing potluck to cleaning up afterwards, everyone pitched in.


OF COURSE, I can totally bitch about this and that, about all the money that was spent on things LAST MINUTE (egads, I hate it when sh*t ain't organized!), on money that was spent on things that were decided NOT to be used LAST MINUTE (and which CANNOT be returned...crap.), on the time and efforts put forth by the three musketeers as well as the church community, and on the time and efforts NOT put forth by those who should've had a bigger hand (we're talking BIG!) in this whole event...but I won't.


In any case, the running joke for the weekend was that the three musketeers could open up shop and have a bridal-type of business. It's a possibility that I think we'd rather not think about right now. Give us a few days to recuperate.


Friday and Saturday seemed like the longest days ever. My body was not only weary from my flight home, but also from all the standing, walking, etc, that had to be done for the wedding. I don't even recall falling asleep Saturday night- I just totally crashed. I didn't even have the energy to make it to church the following day. 'Twas my time to rest and catch up on my sleep.


Hubby's Turn


I'm bummed that I rarely had time to enjoy my return to MN with hubby. The only real quality time we had together was packing his bags last night for his trip to San Diego. It's been way overdue since he's been home to visit his family and kids. Coincidentally, his flight was at 7:45am. Seeing that he had to be there two hours prior, it sucked big time when we woke up at 5:30am! Crapola. We just barely made it with enough time for him to check in while I stood in line for him in the maze to pass through security.


Hubby's visit home will be short and sweet...and he'll be returning to MN with two of his own short and sweet girls. I'm looking forward to spending time and getting to know da girls and just moving forward...


*Hubby- enjoy San Diego! Go get your burritos on, baby, and hit the beach! I miss you already...love you.*



Of All Places....Of All People....


Hubby has all the luck. He just called me from the airport in Phoenix, Arizona. There was a hint of excitement in his voice when he answered my hello with, "Guess who's sitting right across from me?" The last time he had a layover in Phoenix, he had called me with, "Guess who I just saw go into the men's restroom?" The San Francisco Giants had just finished playing a series against the Arizona Diamondbacks. It was the All-Star weekend and it just so happened that Giants manager Felipe Alou was on his way to Vegas for a bit of relaxation! Hubby was so stoked! Seeing that this was a once in a lifetime opportunity, I urged him to try and make contact. In a lil' boy anticipation, hubby was trying to think of something clever to spark a conversation with him. As a result, hubby got the balls to ask for a picture WITH him! (Yes, we do have the proof!)


So... hubby is practically beside himself as he explains that BRIAN McKNIGHT is sitting across from him!!! If ya'll know hubby, you'd know that this is his ultimate and most favorite artist ever. Following close behind are Eric Benet and Kenny Lattimore...imagine hubby-to-be-back-then's surprise when I got him concert tickets for Eric Benet, who just so happened to be opening for Brian McKnight! Well, seeing that hubby has the bragging rights to this chance meeting, I'll let him tell all later. What freakin' luck, eh???

No comments: