Thursday, August 16, 2007



Week Two Update

The training is coming along. Within these past two weeks, I've tried to change up my walk routines, mainly just to figure out where I am most comfortable. I've tried walking the trails around Fort Funston, going around Lake Merced, and doing the stretch along the Great Highway. Among the three, I'm favoring the beach. Mileage-wise from Sloat Blvd to Lincoln, it's approximately two miles one way. Going back and forth for a total of four miles takes me a good hour. To the well-trained runner, it may not seem impressive, but it's definitely a whole lot more than what I'm used to doing...and I'm proud that I've stuck to a routine thus far.

Today was different. The conditions in the East Bay are way different than what I am used to. For the most part, I've been starting with flat terrain; the surrounding neighborhood here is full of hills and the inclines got me breathing heavy. On top of that, it was one of the first times where I actually wished for fog instead of the beautiful and sunny weather! Both factors slowed me down and I doubt that I did the anticipated four miles...but still, I walked for an hour regardless.

I did try jogging for a bit. As a novice runner, the suggested time to run is 4:1....run for 4 minutes, walk for 1 to cool down, and repeat. MnM can be backward or "baliktad" and while I do maintain the numbers (4:1), I'm running for 1 minute and walking for 4 instead!

Pathetic, I know...

But because of the time crunch that I am in to ready myself for the marathon, I am more aware of the food choices I make and of the need to "just do it" and be active someway. One thing that I do have to work on is cross-training. I was banking on retrieving my personal mountain bike from Minnesota, but seeing that venture is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN (...long story...), my sis is kind enough to let me borrow hers in the meantime. I'd like to invest in another one, but I can't seem to swallow the fact that the one that I DO have is going to be auctioned off really soon. But I digress...

So biking is on my list of cross-training activities! Plus, I'm getting excited for school to start again...again, this may not sound impressive, but I'm going to try and make P.E. time with the kids a mini-workout, too....even if it means running laps in the schoolyard! Then, I'll change it up and perhaps we'll do some core conditioning exercises...my students do not know what they're in for this year! Lol!

I have not been able to join the mentor runs on Thursday, the team runs on Saturday, nor have I been able to join Mommy Hernandez (who is running the NIKE Half Marathon AGAIN!) Thursday evenings at NikeTown. I really have to get on the ball!

Continue to wish me luck, ya'll!

3 comments:

The Weekender said...

hey woman! keep at it..i'm goin to try my walk/jog again here tomorrow! And I do the same girl! Jog for 1 minute then walk the next 2-3 minutes..It's a start! Btw..make sure you got good running shoes..it can totally affect your ankles,knees all the way to your back... I've felt the pains! Goodluck girl! If you're around in the late afternoon, maybe you can jog w/ me one of these days!

Mighty Mom said...

wow, you go girl... pretty soon maybe we'll see you dancing again, too! hehehe

As for an activity with your kids... I remember we had an "8th grade challenge" with a teacher: who can run 4 laps (1 mile) faster than our teacher! Maybe you can incorporate a "challenge" to the students!!!

piaadoll said...

hey girl! just happened to pass by your blog! keep it up! you are doing great! i'm training for the nike half as well..so i run (and i also mountain bike - so let me know if you ever want to ride). i still remember when i thought 1 mile was so daunting..in fact, i did my first half marathon earlier this year - this is coming from an ex-pack a day smoker!

i'm sure you'll enjoy every moment of the nike half! i'm so excited for you! it's quite an accomplishment! we're all going to be proud! TnT..what can I say? they are the best, the mentors...the training program, the comraderie...the experience is so worthwhile... i'm thinking of doing TnT next year... :)

take care!