Thursday, August 23, 2007

Ups and Downs

I can't believe school is starting soon. Being back to school for teacher retreat has been brutal. As I glimpsed the faces surrounding me, I saw mirror images of exhaustion and boredom...eyes were either staring blankly ahead, rolling to the back of their head, and/or looking attentive, but really brainstorming what needs to be done in their respective classrooms. I'm not ready for school- mentally, physically, and emotionally. I've loved my summer vacation...loved my summer hours of sleeping in the wee hours of the morning and getting up when it's nearly afternoon.

I've loved it, but it's now kicking my butt.

Ups and Downs...that basically describes my summer. I know that I just said that I've loved my summer vacation; it leans more to the lazy side of me that thoroughly enjoyed not working the usual 7am-5pm. For almost every "up" in my summer, there was definitely a "down."

A Definite UP
There's been plans and talks about when I should go up. As in up, up, up and away! Ate and BruthaMan made it possible for me to go flying this last Saturday. In one word, the experience was simply AWESOME. I can understand why some people, BruthaMan included, can love flying so much. It's just so peaceful up there...and this not being an engine plane, it's quiet and serene...and to me, it made me feel geographically closer to God and the heavens. Corny, I know! When you're looking down at the world below you, it looks both tiny and grand and the same time. Gliding through the air, letting the wind take you...it almost felt like I was in some kind of dream. I had the opportunity to go up with Kenny Price, BruthaMan's flight instructor up at Williams Soaring Center in Williams, CA, who also happens to be one of the BEST in the nation. Pretty fabulous that I was able to fly with him!


Flight instructor, Kenny Price, and MnM.
View from 3,000 feet

"I'm soarin', flyin'...."



*For more info on soaring, check out BruthaMan's blog.

A few other definite UPs include -

*signing up to run a half-marathon. For a while, it was bringing me down because of the expectations that I put on myself, but as I slowly get into a routine and continue to push myself a little bit more each time, it's quickly becoming a more positive experience.

*sponsoring a child in the Philippines. My parents have done this for as long as I can remember and I knew that I'd want to follow in their example. I've always wanted to have a child of my own, but seeing that isn't meant to be just yet, why not put my desires and hope into a child who is in need. When I went to Spirit West Coast with RyceGirl, I saw the website for Compassion. I felt something in my heart and checked out the site. I searched under Philippines and this particular picture of a 6-year old boy resonated and called to me. As I read the profiles of other children, I believe the Holy Spirit was calling me back to that child. I didn't choose to sponsor a child just to do it. I want to be able to help make a difference and pray that He will come to know Christ in his life.

As I said earlier, with all of the positives, I've definitely had my share of negatives. While I don't want to revisit the same-old same-old drama otherwise known as my life, I do wanted to share the lyrics to a current popular Christian song that really does something for me when I'm down. It's a gentle reminder that I'm not alone, even though I may feel like it most of the time. (*Check out the youtube video of this song...Aaron Shust is pretty dope live in concert- he was at Spirit West Coast)


My Savior, My God
by Aaron Shust

I am not skilled to understand
What God has willed, what God has planned
I only know at His right hand
Stands one who is my Savior

I take Him at His word and deed
Christ died to save me; this I read
And in my heart I find a need
Of Him to be my savior

That He would leave His place on high
And come for sinful man to die
You count it strange, so once did I
Before I knew my Savior

Chorus
My Savior loves, My Savior lives
My Savior's always there for me
My God: He was, my God; He is
My God is always gonna be

Yes, living, dying, let me bring
My strength, my solace from this spring;
That He who lives to be my King
Once died to be my Savior

That He would leave His place on high
And come for sinful man to die
You count it strange, so once did I
Before I knew my Savior.

No comments: