Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Minnesota Bridge Collapse

In case you didn't see it or hear it on the news, a bridge in downtown Minneapolis collapsed today. It happened during rushhour traffic and sent approximately 50-60 cars into the Mississippi River. That is a 64 foot drop. Other sections crumpled and took homeward bound people with it. As of a couple of hours ago, the death toll was at 7, but is expected to rise by tomorrow. The 8-lane 35W Interstate bridge is a major artery and is one of many bridges that connect people throughout the Twin Cities. I am almost positive that I have crossed the very same bridge while I was there.

When I first heard the news, I felt an uneasiness in my stomach. Since that bridge is located right smack dab in the middle of the downtown area, I feared for my friends back there. I did get a hold of a particular family that I was close to and thankfully, they were not in the area at the time. But for the many others, I am unsure. The rescue attempts ceased for the night and will continue first thing tomorrow, but finding survivors looks grim...especially for those stuck underwater.

The whole bridge collapse is reminiscent of the Bay Bridge and Cypress Freeway, isn't it? Although it wasn't due to an earthquake or a terrorist attack, my heart goes out to those families who are waiting for news. Please keep those people in your thoughts and prayers...and please pray that my friends back in Minnesota are safe.

No comments: