Friday, April 16, 2004

Tad Bit Stressed

Yesterday was my first day back to school. We're always given a week off between classes and I tried my best to enjoy it as much as possible. All of the courses that I've taken thus far have been challenging, but the last class, Reading and Language Arts, was evenmoreso. Plus, it was 8 weeks long! Albeit that ain't as long as regular classes at a university, but for online, that's long. It was nice that my break coincided with Easter and it was relaxing to sleep in and wake up late....oh wait, I already to do that!

This next class is on Math and Science. Ugh. Math was never really a strength of mine. In high school, I was good to go 'til I hit Geometry. From there, it was all downhill for me- Geometry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus, Chemistry...honestly, I only passed these classes with the help of some friends who didn't mind "an occasional peek" at their homework. After passing the required Math in college, I vowed to never take another one. Ever.

Of course, this class is different. I will be the first to admit that taking classes online has been da best experience! Yes, it was difficult at first to talk to, but not talk to my classmates and budgeting my time to do my work is still something I'm trying to master. I've learned so much more than I did when I was taking credential classes at State! In any case, this Math and Science class I'm taking focuses on the teaching aspect ot it all- the various strategies and even the basic understanding of it. My hope is that my perspective of Math will change throughout the course. We'll see.

As part of my efforts to become a certified teacher here in MN, I have to take a bunch of standardized tests- gosh how I hate these! Tomorrow, I take a total of three on the Praxis Series tests. These include: Math, English, and Writing. I got myself a prep book at Borders, but silly me, just bought it a few days ago. I spent the entire day reviewing my Math...boy oh boy. Y'know, I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to Math, but it's one of those things where I seriously lack the patience to figure anything mathematical out. Again, I did well on the basics up to algebra. Surprisingly, I did well on angles, formulas, etc, but y'know what got me? Word problems and percentages! I find myself resorting to 3rd grade strategies, but c'mon, who can ever really figure out the answer to the infamous, "Two trains leave the station at different times in different directions...." Screw that- who fricken cares?!

For some reason, I'm not too worried about the English and Writing sections. Should I be? Am I being overly confident? I sure hope not. Although when I was reviewing the Language grammar rules/usage/syntax, etc, there were quite a few rules I have been disregarding. Shocking! Lol! Honestly, I just have anxiety for the Math section.

I've got to be at the testing center at 7:30am tomorrow morning. 'Tis really an ungodly hour when I'm used to waking up by noon! Shiet. I should try my best and get a good night's sleep tonight so I'll be refreshed for the test. Keep your fingers crossed, would ya? May the formulas work and numbers calculate and may the rules of grammar somehow not be deleted from my brain until Sunday. Wish me luck ya'll...I'm gonna need it.

Birthday Shout-Outs

Happy Birthday to my number one roomie, Heidi! I met Heidi back in 1990 during a student exchange program to the former U.S.S.R. 'Twas through the Friendship to Friendship Caravan that we met- 6 of us from San Francisco and about 16 of 'em from Connecticut put together for three weeks. Heidi was my roommate for most of the trip. Being that this was really my first time being away from home, she helped make my transition easier...plus, if it weren't were Heidi and her "F*ck curfew!" attitude, I would've never had my first drinking experience of shooting cognac! Did I mention that I was only 16 at the time?! See what a good influence she was! Lol! Though we lost track of each other for a bit, we've maintained our friendship through the years. Hubby and I even got to visit her back East for a day and I got to meet her family, her hubby, and adorable kids. She'll always be my number one roomie! Happy birthday party girl Heidi- and no cage dancing for you! Much love...

Birthday wishes go out to Ibalik, my fellow Cutting Edge-r! I find it hilarious that I'm always referring to Pare as my fellow back in da day hip-hopper dancer budddy when we didn't even dance together. I was in the original group while Pare came in later on...when the group was actually getting good! 'Tis all good though, Ibalik is also fellow CA boy and fellow Bay Area, so that's where I see and feel our bond! He's been dope in inviting us out and about, meeting new people, and just hanging out. Good good friend that Ibalik! Happy Birfday Pare, aka G-Pera! Much love...

No comments: