Tuesday, April 20, 2004

April Showers

It's just been a downpour all day making for a really blah day. I'm relieved that the tornado watch is over (for now), but it looks like the next few days will be wet ones. Just one of those days where I've literally stayed in my pajamas all day. Tamad, di ba?

So what's with the Tagalog? Y'know, I've always been told that the more you are surrounded by the language, the chances of actually learning to speak it increases. Eh, I've never really believed in that simply 'cuz my mom has been talking to me in Tagalog all my life, sans the moments I'd need an explanation of certain words or phrases. Other than that, I've always been around it and though I can hear and say things in my mind, 'twas a totally different story once I tried to actually verbalize it.

I won't even go into the many times revisited by some people at our church where they simply don't get it, simply cannot comprehend, simply can't get it through their thick ass skulls that just 'cuz hubby and I don't speak the language doesn't make us less Pinoy. Ugh- let's not even go there...

But hubby has been talking to his client in the Philippines lately and when he leaves emails or phone messages, he makes the effort to find out how to say something however Taglish it may be. When hubby or myself get tired of racking our brain with, "Oh, I know that one! It's on the tip of my tongue!," hubby goes ahead and consults noneother than Pare Ibalik. Plus, if you've ever checked out Ibalik's blog, it's mostly written in Tagalog anyways- so you can imagine just how long it takes me to read it! Lol! Okay, I'm not that bad, but it does take me a bit to get thru it. Thank goodness it's mostly phonetic! So with peeps at church, Ibalik's blog, and hubby getting galing-galing with his own Tagalog, it's no wonder and it probably wouldn't be such a big surprise if I came back to CA being more fluent than I already am- and that's saying a lot! Lol! Okay, maybe not...

Employment Update

I'm a bit excited for tomorrow- got me an interview for a summer program position. I had actually sent a resume for this back in January, but hadn't thought much about it 'til the phone call this morning. As far as teaching positions for the next school year is concerned, there's a school near our place that is hiring a lower elementary teacher. April is the month when they review teacher contracts and by month's end, I'm hoping to get an interview going with them. I'm actually keeping my fingers crossed for that school because of the location and because it's a Christian school.

In any case, wish me luck for tomorrow. I'm guessing it's about time I start contributing financially...although I must say that's it's been cool, real cool, to just focus on school work. I've gotten used to it real quick! Thanks hubby! =)


No comments: