Saturday, April 03, 2004

Birthday Recap

It's always nice when people remember your birthday.....especially when it doesn't come with any kinds of April Fool jokes! In fact, I got phone calls from family and good friends that put the icing on the cake. I got the chance to talk with my sis, my niece, Mommy Hernandez, Dimples, Ms. Voodoo, and Ibalik. That doesn't include all the texts, voicemails, phone messages, and emails either! (Got an email from my parents, too! WT??? Lol!) I even got a birthday card in the mail from my Lola! Whoa- I can't remember when that happened last, but it was a very nice surprise! Thanks again to all for remembered my big 3-0!

Hubby prepared the bomb dinner....lobster tails, prime rib, garlic mashed potatoes. We even got an ice cream cake, although not Baskin Robbins, but 'twas nice as hubby sang for me. We didn't do the whole 30 candles- first of all, the package of candles only came in 24 and plus, the cake was a mini-sized one and I doubt they would've all fit anyways! Lol! We didn't come close to finishing it, but 'twas a dope dinner. Thanks hubby!

I wish I could say that my birthday itself ended all good, but I had two major assignments due. 'Course, it didnt' help that hubby and I did some pashal-pashal around the Twin Cities and by the time we got back, I was so not in the mood to do work! Needless to say, I knew that my work would be late, but when the glare of the morning sun blinded my eyes at 5:30am, I was like, "It's morning already?!" I had stayed up for my entire birthday and then some.....and I wasn't even drinkin' up and partying! Lol! 'Tis all good though...I got my assignments in....late, but still in.

Yesterday evening was spent with the youth at church. Turns out that I will be teaching that funky lil' bunch some folk dances for a surprise number for Mother's Day next month. This was actually the first time I had the chance to really talk with these kids and getting to know them was just hilarious. Funny sidenote: when hubby and I first arrived, they automatically started addressing us as "Tito and Tita." Hubby and I were like, "Nah uh! None of this Tito-Tita stuff!" And the more hubby got involved with them during church and playing ball, they started calling him Kuya, but I was still Tita! So my big thing was that if they called me Tita, I'd tickle them or pinch 'em...nice, eh? But last night, the funky bunch (my new name for them) kept correcting each other, "It's ATE, not Tita!" Too funny. Anyways, like I mentioned before, it's always cool to skool young'uns with some culture through folk dancing. This may be my calling here- who knows? Hahaha, yes, we will have our own lil' dance company within the church AND the coolest part would be that we would have total access to a live rondalla! Seeing that the pastor and his father have their own group, Rondalla Filipina, which hubby has become a member of as well. On the real though, these kids learn fast....putting all the laughing and fooling around aside, we pretty much got through Pandanggo Sa Ilaw/Oasioas.

Afterwards, the aunties and uncles had prepared some snacks for the kids: pizza, chips, cookies, and drinks. But as we got upstairs to the kitchen, they all started singing Happy Birthday to me, complete with an ice cream cake! Wow! Talk about a nice, lil' surprise! I totally wasn't expecting anything like that and I'm just grateful to be part of a great church family here in MN. Overall, it was a great birthday! =)

No comments: