Thursday, April 08, 2004

Birthday Shout-Outs

April has a ton of birthdays of some family and friends. Yesterday was Mrs. Sharon's 29th birthday! This fellow pinay sista and I became really tight friends at Cornerstone. She teaches 1st grade out there and I don't know how she does it, but she's got a good command of her class with that quiet and soft voice of hers. Hahaha, not me...when those lil' knuckleheads get too noisy for my standards, they will feel my wrath! NOT! I'm not as mean as I play off to be, but I don't let things slide either. When I speak, I expect everyone to listen up, know what I mean? We all have our personal styles of teaching so it's all good. In any case, HAPPY 29TH BIRTHDAY, MRS. SHARON!!! Miss you- much love....

Tomorrow is Mrs. Emily's 28th birthday. I first met her in Barangay back in da day. She became a lil' sis during our PACE days- got to see the beginning stages of her relationship with now hubby, and she was even a bridesmaid at my wedding. Although she's kickin' it in sunny Hawaii, I totally miss this chick. For someone who was younger than myself, she was definitely mature and wise for her age. She's a great listener and a great friend. Much birthday love to you, Em!

New Decisions

A few weeks prior to my birthday, I was staring at myself in the mirror. I'm not one to be so vain, but has anyone ever told you that us Pinays and Pinoys age gracefully? Lol! I look at all the puti people over here and people my age are looking so o-l-d! And perhaps it's just Midwest life, but women be punching out babies left and right. I used to joke with my sister that back in our parents' generation, it was the norm to have 10+ kids. My mom is the oldest of 11 and my dad is the fourth out of 12. You rarely hear about families with four or more kids nowadays....but oh no, not here in MN. A couple weeks back when hubby and I went to Mickey D's, we overheard the cashier lady talking about her 12 kids......12 kids! Like that movie, "Cheaper By the Dozen?!" Goodness me, although I haven't had one yet, two or three may be a possibility...but 12?! I just cannot fathom.

Anyways, I was reflecting on the whole turning 30 bit and I wanted to make some "big" changes in my life....as if moving to the Midwest wasn't life changing already! Well, many of you know that I have a thing for earrings and ear pierces and that I have a total of 7, yes? Well, I decided to close up three of 'em to now have only 2 on each ear. Now as insignificant as this may be to many, this is a huge thing for me! It was bad enough when I let my cartilage pierce close. Honestly, my ears feel naked. I'm actually trying to get back to my high school habit of wearing hoops, but I can't bring myself to buy them huge ones like I used to wear. I've settled for some medium sized silver ones. As funny as this may sound, I not only felt "naked" and I felt that something was missing. And so, I did the next best thing to compensate for that "loss......." I got another tattoo!

I've been wanting another one for some time now. It's true what they say about tattoos- once you get one, you'll always want another one. Just like they say about Doritos- "you can't have just one." I think I was like this with my ear pierces. There was a time when I had two cartilage pierces...then after I got those, hella people started getting them! Not to say that I "started the trend," but you just notice it more after you yourself get 'em.

The first tatt I got was when I was in my second year of college. I was 19. I really loved what the "clauddaugh" or Irish wedding band stood for, so I got that in the middle of my back. If you don't know what that looks like, it's a heart being held by two hands and on top of the heart is a crown. The heart stands for love, the hands represent friendship, and the crown is for loyalty. I clearly remember the day I got it- 'twas at Jerry's Tattoo in da city. Right when you walk in, all you see is a bunch of ZZ Top biker guys. But when they start talking to you, they're so sweet! "How are you, darlin! What can I do for you today?" You just wouldn't think....

The second tatt I got was with hubby. We actually have the same one. No, it ain't our names tattooed-nah uh! We both do not believe in the whole name thing on bodies...unless it's your own, your kids, your mom, etc...but I've heard of way too many incidents where people get their significant other's names tattooed just for them to break up later on. Totally not cool. We both got the chinese character for "eternity-" hubby has it right at the nape of his neck and I've got mine in the middle of my lower back. Awwwww, now isn't that sweet?

Anyways, my new tatt is on my back between my two shoulder blades. In the middle, I have the sun from the Philippine flag all done up in black. On the left side, I have the word "Pinay" and on the right side, I have the word "lakas" ("strength" in tagalog) both in alibata. "Pinay" and "lakas" 'cuz I am a strong Pinay woman. Plus, I have to represent, you know? First it was Irish, then Chinese, and now, I have my Filipino. It looks really good if I say so myself! Now ya'll don't have to worry that I'm going to end up with hella tatts all over my body....just a couple more and I'll be good to go! Lol! Hmmm...I wonder what I should get next time.....

Hubby also got a new tatt today, too. He got the Philippine sun (different from mine!) on his right arm with our last name in alibata. Many people might say that alibata tatts are so overrated, but honestly, I don't think they are. His looks really tight, especially when he wears his basketball cut-offs. For hubby, it's cool to show 'em off! Hopefully we'll be able to post some pics of them after they've healed.

No comments: