Thursday, April 22, 2004

Interview Update

As luck would have it, I was 5 minutes late for the interview. Not a good way to get things started, but thankfully, the ones conducting the interview were running late, too.

Had two very nice ladies interview me, although one had the lazy eye action goin' on. A tad bit distracting. Wasn't quite sure which eye to focus on and I could never tell if she was looking at me or her colleague. Lol! I did have to spend the first minute on the pronunciation of my first and last name, but then again, I'm no stranger to that. 'Tis the story of my life. Right off the bat we discussed the whole "What brought you to Minnesota?" question. It never ceases to amaze me how shocked people are when they learn I'm from CA. It's the same old thing- "Why MN?!" Goes to show how much love these Minnesotans have for their state, eh?

I told them a lil' about myself and basically tried to wow them with my background and experience. They threw different scenarios at me and I felt confident in my responses. When they asked what special talent I had that could be integrated into the summer program, I automatically went with Philippine folk dancing. The site supervisor who was taking notes seemed to perk up and I could tell that this was something totally different than what they're used to.

The position that I was interviewing for was a paraprofessional, aka, classroom aide. Of course, to kids, there really is no difference. They looked over my resume and said that I was basically overqualified for the position that I was going for. They began suggesting that if I was interested, I should apply for their fall positions and even sign up to be on the substitute teacher list. I voiced my concerns over my lack of certification and they brushed it off saying that it didnt' matter. For this particular district (public school, mind you), they look at educational background and classroom experience. Also, people who work during the summer program usually transition into the regular school program, too. With all that info, I began to get very excited!

I should learn by the end of the week if I got the position for summer school. I don't want to get my hopes up high, but this would be great at getting my foot in the door and getting back into the classroom. For now, the waiting begins! Argh! Keep your fingers crossed!

No comments: