Wednesday, June 15, 2005

We Are The Minority

Living in Minnesota, this is quite the understatement.

But if we're talking about the Giants vs. Twins Game 1 last night, well, shoot, that's a whole other story. Just for the record, we have NEVER been to a Giants game in an opposing team's stadium before. Quite the experience.

Hubby and I have been looking forward to my beloved Giants making their way out here. Yes, yes, they are not having a great season and it totally sucks that the DL list keeps growing and growing. It's bad enough that Bonds has been out for this long- as of yesterday, reports are speculating that he may be out for the entire season. Added to that list- Alfonso and Grissom.

Tuesday's at Minneapolis' Metrodome is "half-price Tuesdays." We basically got our seats in their Home Run Porch for $8 apiece. Not bad, plus considering that we got there in the 2nd inning.

Making sure that we represented, we went in full Giants gear, WHICH BTW, didn't get too many appreciative looks. As hubby said, "everyone gotta make a comment." When we found our seats, we got a couple of, "Hey, you wearing the wrong shirt today," or "I hate the Giants!!!" We did, however, run across a few Giants fans...very few...but when we did, they looked hella glad to see one of their own.

Section 104 of the Metrodome must've been reserved for the countless, annoying, absurdly loud "look at me because I just turned 21" crowd. There was definitely too much alcohol being consumed in our very row. There were a bunch of dudes in the row in front of us who were either drinking, scamming, making comments such as, "that girl is hot as f*ck!" (nice, eh?), or turning around to gloat at us every single time the Twins did something cool. Definitely younguns, in fact, they didn't even look old enough to drink. They weren't so bad though compared to the crowd to our right who were so wasted that it wasn't even funny.

It's not a secret that the Giants have been "off" for the past how many games. But whenever someone got on base, I was there clapping and rooting them on. In fact, when Ray Durham hit that homer last night, I was the only one hoot-hooting and whoo-whooing, standing up with arms extended to the sky. I say "only one" because hubby left me hanging. He didn't even stand or give me a high five. Boo on him! But that's cool though...I mean, I forgot where we were for a second and my excitement got the better of me. Let's just say that I ain't trying to get beat up by a Twins fan OR see hubby get into a fight defending ME by a Twins fan.

I honestly thought the Giants had it last night. As we went into extra innings, they did a good job at keeping the Twins from scoring...but it wasn't enough. They had too many flubs, too many errors. The one that hurt was "the pickle," where a Twin attempted to steal to 2nd base. He was off, got caught between bases with the 1st baseman and 2nd baseman rallying to tag him out, and MISSED! The player made it safely back to 1st base as we stared in disbelief. Final score in the 11th inning, Twins 4, Giants 3. Man...

Well, despite the smirks, stares, and comments we got, we're off tonight to root the Giants on. This time, though, we're going to try and get seats in one of the empty sections. We're also going to make a sign...who knows if we'll get shown on TV! Plus, that way if I'm hoot-hooting and whoo-whooing by myself, there will be less chances of beer flying my way. GO GIANTS!!!

No comments: