Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Take Cover Now!

Okay, when you hear crap like this on the news, it's some pretty scary shit.

It had nothing to do with "War of the Worlds" (thank God!), but rather, it had to do with the weather. I swear, it never ends! You would think that this being my third summer here that I would be somewhat used to Midwest storms. I've honestly come to enjoy lightning storms because they give an awesome night show. Thunder still creeps me out. I never liked it and it was evident during tonight's storm as I almost dropped the plates I was washing when it cracked out of nowhere.

Tonight's storm was a biggie. On TV, it is not unusual to have continuous updates about the weather. There is usually a ticker on the bottom of the screen informing which counties of MN are going to get hit with severe weather. When they feel it necessary, whatever program you are watching will be interrupted and we'll get a live update, too. Again, this is not unusual. But as we were watching "Lost" tonight, the updates were popping on the screen every few minutes! Now I don't usually watch "Lost." I've actually always wanted to, but unfortunately it coincided with "Smallville" and well, WB rules. Here we are trying to get into the story, but we kept getting interrupted and of course, it happens during the most crucial scenes! What the heck!

We basically miss out on "Lost" and when the news finally comes on, it's just a continuation of weather alerts. They're talking that tonight's weather has created major damage in some parts of the state and that it might even be worse than winter weather! There's reports of hydroplaning, dangerous especially if you're near a lake, rising creeks and rivers, flash floods, fires caused by lightning, and my fave, tornadoes.

Remember how I said that this storm was a biggie? They show a map of where tornadoes are possible to form and also show parts of the state that have been hit hard. Well tonight's storm covered the entire state! But when the meteorologists discuss how unusual it is for this time of year, etc, or how bizarre they think it is to have so many tornado sightings and warnings, well heck, it's enough to raise my blood pressure! Oh yes, and the kicker. For those in areas where tornadoes may touch down and in case there is no basement in the house, take cover now! When you see the concern and seriousness of their tone, it freaks me out. While the storm has seemed to pass over, there is still a tornado watch until 3am.

I guess I ain't going to bed until 3am....just in case. Damn these Midwest storms!

No comments: