Saturday, June 11, 2005

Blah Blah Blah

You know things are blah around here when I can't even concentrate and focus on reading a book. Books are my haven, my escape from reality, my time to just veg out and relax. Since I've been here, I've been averaging 1-2 books a week...that's a lot of books! I've mentioned Nicholas Sparks being one of my fave authors and even I can't seem to get into his latest "True Believer." What the heck?

It could easily be blamed on the gloomy weather or just life in general. In any case, here's something that I wrote, coincidentally, before the huge storm we just had.

The Storm
by MnM

I can hear the skies rumbling overhead
As the distant thunder makes its way closer to me
The gray clouds overpower the heavens creating ominous shadows
And the earth hungrily swallows the thick, fat raindrops that begin to fall
To quench its thirst from the dry spell we've been having.
The once still leaves of the tree outside my window start to rustle
As the wind suddenly picks up-
An unexpected reprieve from the bouts of humid filled nights
The breeze, ever so slight, refreshes me.

Without warning, the skies unleash
The light breeze has turned into a mighty force not to be reckoned with
I listen to the rain beat down upon my window in ferocity
Watching as torrents of water cloud my vision to the outside world
Lightning flashes amid the thunderous roar of the storm
And I can't help but be afraid of what's to come.
I hear the familiar wail of the tornado siren and my eyes instinctively shoot upward
A funnel cloud has been sighted in an area not too far from where we are
And I am left unsure of what to do.

Moments later, the pounding of the rain ceases and the skies appear to clear
But I find it's only a game that Mother Nature is playing on us
Because this lapse, this interruption if you will, is just that
A break in time to fool unknowing eyes that the storm has just begun.
My ears perk up to the chirping of a bird's song and I can't help but think
That its song is a premature celebration of hope yet to be realized
I wonder if it will find shelter in time or will it continue its song of rejoice
I crack open my window enough to smell the newly rain-kissed scent I love so much
And resign myself to listen to the melodious tune of the bird's song.

No comments: