Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Summer Blockbuster

We just got back from watching Steven Spielberg's "War of the Worlds." If I had to describe this movie, there's just one word: INTENSE! Now just for the record, I've never read the book, although I intend to now, so I really did not know what to expect. All I know is that the world is being taken over by aliens. Hubby and I have this habit of watching movies on opening day. So while I do not want to spoil anything for anybody, I will tell you this. In the newspaper review about the Tom Cruise movie, it stated that it was very reminiscent of the 9/11 tragedy. And boy, they were not kidding. It's downright freaky, scary, sad, and overwhelming at the same time. If and when you see it, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. I found myself muttering "Oh my God, Oh my God" too many times and at the end of the movie, my whole body was tense. The last time I felt this was after watching "The Day After Tomorrow." I will say this though...I will never look at lightning storms the same after this!

Oh, and can I just say this one thing about lil' Dakota Fanning? I've always been in awe over kid actors- they never cease to amaze me with their ability. But this girl is good. And boy, can she scream or what? Plus, for a 11-year old, (I think that's how old she is), she's had such great opportunities to work with such big name actors and actresses. There was Denzel Washington in "Man On Fire," Sean Penn and Michelle Pfeiffer in "I Am Sam," Mike Myers in "The Cat in the Cat," and now Tom Cruise in "War of the Worlds." For someone so young, she's been in quite a few movies and already her resume keeps growing. I just googled her to see what else she's done and it turns out that one of her earliest gigs was on my fave shows, Ally McBeal, where she portrays Ally as a 5-year old. Such a talented lil' lady this girl is! Out of all the kid actors/actresses out there right now, she's definitely one of my top faves.

No comments: