Thursday, November 08, 2007

Say a Lil' Prayer...

So there's drama unfolding at work...and it's gotten to the point where paranoia has begun to set in on people's nerves. Apparently there is an employee who has become emotionally and mentally unstable as of late...and because of this, her work has suffered. Administration has taken note and as far as I believe, she was going to be let go soon. This person has been found talking to herself, being belligerent to co-workers, and muttering sinister-like comments. All of this is news to me...I do see this person around school, but my interactions with her consist of everyday greetings of hello and how are you. Until yesterday, others have commented that they have noticed a change in her- unfriendly and almost mean demeanor, lots of dark colored clothing, rapid loss of weight, and disinterest in doing her job. The more people talked about it, the more nervous I began to feel about this particular person being around children.

More so, the nervousness has led me to think of the worst. It's like what we hear in the news...a disgruntled worker returns to the place of employment and unleashes her rage. Then people would be interviewed and would only have nice things to say or how they would never in a million years believe she could do such something so horrific. I'm hoping that I'm jumping the gun here. But with the MOST recent events - she tried to slap someone during lunch today AND she muttered the comment "...just you wait and see..." Egads! What does that mean? It's downright scary!

I'm troubled that Administration "knew" of her instability and yet, failed to inform the teachers. What the hell were they waiting for? Were they waiting for something serious to happen? You would THINK that the safety of the children would be the first priority, right???

There was a period of about 20 minutes where a few of us teachers began to panic. After recess, we bring the students back down to their classes. A fellow 3rd grade teacher wasn't in her room. Okay, no big deal, she was probably in the restroom. After 5 minutes, she had not returned yet. Hmmmm...strange. She's usually in her room. Ten minutes pass and still no sign of her. I call the Front Office to see if she was there, but no one has seen her. Ethan's Mommy suggests we call her cell, but I rarely see her carry it around with her. We check the other floors and ask passing teachers if they've seen her. Negative! Okay....15 minutes have passed and we really start to worry. By this time, the one thing that kept popping in my head was, "Goodness gracious...she's been "taken" by so-and-so and she's in trouble." In a sick way, I was almost expecting to hear someone scream that she's been "found." Ugh. Luckily, she finally turned up- all safe and sound! She had been talking to an administrator in a downstairs office...and even said that she saw me walk by! Girl, I was looking for you, I told her!

This is NOT the way to feel at work! It's nerve-racking and again, it's downright scary! I hope and pray that Admin takes care of this matter...not just for that person's sake, but for the safety of our students. I would hate to see anything happen to these innocent kids...so say a prayer, ya'll....hope that Friday will be a smooth and uneventful day....and that this person will receive the proper help and treatment necessary.

No comments: