Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Longest Shortest Week

It shouldn't make sense, but it does. Monday was Veteran's Day, a day in which MnM took advantage of the beautiful weather to go running. As Queen Procrastinator, I took the liberty of waiting until Monday to work on my report cards. As chance would have it, Mrs. Voodoo and her Mango Man called and asked if I wanted to head to IKEA. Seeing that I haven't hung out with them in a while AND knowing what endless bargains lay in store for me there, I had to go. Lol! Keeping in mind that I am on a budget, I had to resist that temptation of putting this or that in the cart and stick to only the necessities. To my surprise, Mrs. Voodoo would NOT let me pay and insisted that my pick of the litter would be their housewarming gifts to me...THANKS YOU GUYS!!!

After we were IKEA'd out, we headed to the Bay Street shopping area in Emeryville...and wow! This was really the first time I've walked around and it really is nice. Plus with Christmas coming up, everything is all lit up so beautifully. Hahah...me and pretty lights! (I'm easily impressed...). Once the shopping, browsing, and talking story was done, we headed back into da city.

Sometime after the IKEA run, I started to feel really hot. My head started pounding, my stomach was hurting, and my energy level just dropped. I worked on report cards for a bit, but after a while, I couldn't take it anymore and headed to bed. The following morning, I woke up freezing! Even with two blankets AND a space heater, my entire body felt chilly.

I called work and told them I wasn't coming in. As nice as it would've been to relax, this week was SO NOT the week to be sick because of Parent-Teacher conferences. I basically had to reschedule the entire day which means that this coming Monday and Tuesday, I am in for a long day after school. Oh joy...

The conferences that I did have after returning to school on Wednesday were actually very cool. I think I speak for all the teachers in that we can only hope for supportive parents. Having that ONE difficult one could easily make or break the school year. I'm dreading one conference with a parent who has the potential to be THAT parent...

I don't care who you are...no one is perfect in this world. But if you throw the fact that you are a Christian in my face and tell me that your son can do no wrong because he is a Christian, but at the same time find the energy to talk shit about another kid in the class? I'm sorry, the respect factor has been lost. This "holier-than-thou" attitude of some Christians really piss me off! Your kid may seem "perfect" in your eyes, but he's still 8 years old. A child so young cannot discern right from wrong ALL THE TIME just because he is a Christian. Goodness gracious me...

On a lighter note, while it's the mother who can be a handful, the father is actually really nice. Nice, but beginning to be that creepy, sorta nice. Lol! I've basically known this family for quite a while from my afternoon program days. I taught the oldest daughter and I would see the dad pick her up almost every day. Throughout the years, he'd always say hello and we'd have little conversations here and there. But now that his youngest and only son is in my class, he's in my classroom often. Sometimes I'll be writing the homework on the board (and I have to use a step-stool 'cuz I'm so damn short...), and when I'm about to step down, he'll be right behind me! I mean, I wouldn't even know he was there and he'll just say "Good morning" and walk away. Strange, I tell you! I actually try and avoid unnecessary conversation if at all possible now. But just this past Friday, he came up to me and handed me an envelope. Turns out that he works for Gap and gave me a whole bunch of Friends & Family Discount! That was really nice of him, right? Now if only his wife could be so cool... In any case, this conference just so happens to be my last one on Tuesday. Wish me luck, ya'll!

Ireland

As of late, I've had this affinity towards anything having to do with Ireland. Hmmm...I wonder why??? Ha. My sis, BADMama, told me about this music group from Ireland- WESTLIFE. I feel like I've heard of them, but never took the time to see what they were about. Turns out that Simon Cowell put them together years ago! (hmmm...just like IL DIVO!). Anyways, they're a pop band that many would probably compare to the BSB and they've got some really good songs (if you like pop...) AND goshdarnit...they are fine! Lol...a little eye candy don't hurt anyone, right? I've been spending time on youtube just watching their videos and man...hubba hubba! Plus watching their interviews and hearing their accents....hothothothothot!

....totally random factoid from my sis and BruthaMan....they seem to think that WHEN (not if...) I do find that someone special, it's going to be someone non-Filipino...now if there's ever a time that they had ESP, I have to say- I'm down with that....and hell, if he happens to be from Ireland...all the better! ;-)

No comments: