Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Kuya D

Kuya D's flight wasn't until 3pm-ish so we still had time to do some last minute pashal-pashal. One of the must-dos on his agenda included going to Jollibee...hahah, that's right, Jollibee's! They don't have any of those in New York and he wanted some sweet spaghetti for the plane ride back.

Prior to that, I took him to Ocean Beach. It's not the most picturesque beach in the Bay, but hey, all he wanted to do was see the Pacific. Sounds weird to hear that because that's all I've ever seen, but when I go to New York (and I WILL be going...), I would definitely want to see the Atlantic...hands down. San Francisco being San Francisco, it was a foggy morning. Fortunately, it wasn't terribly cold. Kuya D had not been schooled on how to dress in the Bay, but in case he's back for another conference, he now knows: layer, layer, layer. We took a couple pics with the ocean in the background and he did take some of the fog. Again, something I'm so used to seeing, but not for him. I then took him into Golden Gate Park. I told him about the hidden waterfalls and the famous buffalo of the city. Yes people...buffalo. I took him around Stowe Lake, told him the legend (as I've always heard it), parked, and walked to the waterfalls. Ahhhh....to look at the green water. LOL!




I pointed out the DeYoung Museum and the lil' amphitheater area...then, I took a wrong turn! Again, MnM not being the nifty navigator basically gave up and admitted that I didn't know where the heck the buffalo was when all of a sudden, there they were! Hah..I found them by accident...and yes, Kuya D was wowed. This was the most I've seen- there were about 7-8 of 'em. Stopped and did the Kodak moment thing and moved on.

Anyways, I dropped him off at SFO, but not even 20 minutes later, he called and asked what I was doing. Omg, I thought, did he forget something in my car? Did I have to go back? Turns out that the airlines was offering passengers $500 to give up their seats for a later flight. Because of the recent storms in the East, we had joked that if his flight was cancelled, I'd take him to Alcatraz. Well, it just so happened that I was on my way to hang out with Sha, but then I said, wait a sec, how often do I get to hang out with an out-of-state cousin? Well, it went back and forth for a bit, but Kuya D called and with a totally bummed voice told me that they didn't need anyone to give up their seat. Oh well...it would've been cool to hang out longer, but off he went.

The night before, we did have dinner at my sister's house...invited a couple of other cousins to see Kuya D as well. As always, get a few of us together and well, it's all laughs. I would've loved to have known what went through his mind about us California cousins...lol. Here's a couple of pics from that night.


Kuya D and us California cousins...nice picture.


Kuya D and us California cousins...crazy picture. Notice Kuya D is the only normal one in the pic! What's up with that, New York?! Lol!



-----------

We did get to visit my Lolo...his Lolo was the brother, but now, mine is the only surviving sibling. Speaking of my Lolo, he's 92 years old. He was recently in the hospital due to some complications from a slight case of pneumonia and because of his age, there's really nothing they can do for him. Fortunately, the antibiotics did the trick, but basically the doctors said that it's just better that he didn't get sick anymore. When he was released from the hospital, I picked him up and when I asked him how he was feeling, his response?

"Oh well, y'know I'm old. After the wedding, I'm going back to the Philippines for the last time."

He basically has the mindset that he's done. I looked at my mom who was sitting in the backseat and she didn't look bothered by his comment. I asked her about it later and she said, "Y'know, he's been feeling like he's going to die for the past 10 years!" It's kinda funny, but at the same time, when you do see a loved one in a hospital all hooked up to an IV and various machines, it never fails to see them in a different light. I totally love my Lolo and would really miss him when it's time for him to go home, but I think at his age, 92, he's lived quite a life.


Here's my lola and lolo...along with the bride-to-be and fiance.



Countdown Central

Wedding: July 7 (4 more days)

Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix: July 11 (8 more days)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7): July 21 (18 more days)

No comments: