Wednesday, January 03, 2007

How Did We Get to Talking About That?

Lunch time conversation at work is never dull. After almost a full day with students, you'd think that teachers would want to use that valuable time to de-stress and be kid-free for those thirty minutes. Wrong! In fact, all conversations revolve around our students- what a kid said, what a kid did, what should be done with this or that one, so and so is driving me nuts today, etc. And how sad that we're all guilty of venting out our frustrations to other teachers! Thankfully, that's what we're there for, to support each other, encourage one another, and root each other on.

All other conversations that stem from there is almost always NOT connected to the students at all and it's always funny to figure out how you got from Point A to Point B. Take today for example- one minute we are discussing when report cards are due and the next thing you know, we're talking about tips on how not to be a victim of an attack.

The path is simple really.

We began talking about report card dates, which was discussed at the meeting I attended after school, which also included organizing a schedule of upcoming field trips for each grade level, which brought us to the recap of what happened during our first field trip of the year in which one of our 3rd grade students was punched in the face by another student from another school, which brought up the heated discussion of why we should have a school bus to take us to and from places, which led to the issue of how steep the insurance costs would be, which led to the 'if i were a parent, i'd dish out the extra cash for my kid's safety' convo, which led to our own personal experiences of being attacked in some way or another (and yes, I shared my being jumped on MUNI story which is, of course, the sole reason why I detest taking public transportation), which led to the story of when a co-worker and her friends were waiting for MUNI and a perv asked for directions while trying to satisfy himself, which led another co-worker to share how she was attacked by a flasher, which then prompted her to take self-defense classes, which then finally led us to tips on how not to be a victim. I know that's a poorly written sentence, but I just had to break it down. Kinda like that whole six degrees of separation thingy...sorta.

Moving on...

-------------------------

Interesting Battlescars

Being attacked by a pet monkey.
Almost being devoured by vultures.

I can't even begin to go into details and even if I tried, the person in question would probably kill me. I'm sure at the time, it must've been the most dreadful thing to experience....but c'mon!!! Monkeys and vultures??? Who and what can top that? I'm sorry....it's insanely funny to me....it shouldn't be, I know. I'm so bad.

-------------------------

"Strange...even when you know that it has to end...and when it finally does...you get that inevitable twinge of 'Have I done the right thing?'"

(Jude Law in Alfie)

*Finally found "Alfie" at Barnes and Nobles...'twas the one and only copy they had! Got my Jude Law fix for the day, and can I just say again? He's one fine, fine, fine lookin-man....

No comments: