Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Sympathy Pains

I distinctly remember the day when my sister had knee surgery. She had busted it playing volleyball at UC Berkeley. I was still in high school at the time. I may not be able to tell you what class I was in or where on campus I was hanging out, but I can tell you this. Around the time of my sister's surgery, I was feeling some sharp pains in the exact same knee that she was having surgery on. I don't recall thinking it weird and if anyone had pointed it out for me, but I'm 100% sure that what I was feeling was my sister's pain.

Sympathy pains are not unusual. I've heard that it happens to people who have a really tight bond. After she got pregnant with her first child, we used to joke about this a lot. Half kidding and half wishing that it wouldn't happen, I used to pray that I wouldn't have sympathy pains during her labor. Egads, can you imagine? Thankfully and perhaps because I was too distracted to see HER pain during labor, I didn't feel a thing...with the exception of her squeezing my hand unbelievably tight!

The other day, I was feeling nauseous. I have already been trying to deal with these damn allergies- runny nose, itchy throat, and continuous sneezing. The feeling in my tummy wasn't pleasant at all. Sure I felt like yakking, but it was a different sort of stomach pain. I do recall, though, looking at the time for reference sake. It was 3:30pm. Later, I find out that my mom, who's still in the hospital, had an episode after trying to eat real food for the first time. What time did that happen? 1:30pm PST. Now call it coincidence or what, but I have a sneaking suspicion that what I felt wasn't mere stomach pains.

First my sister...then my mom. THANK THE GOOD LORD that I didn't feel anything when my dad had his quadruple bypass surgery!!! Have I felt anything when hubby has gotten sick? I sure have...but then again, we just may be getting hit with the same thing! Man. Don't get me wrong, I love that there's a strong connection with my family and all, but I think I can do without the sympathy pains.

Believe It Or Not

We're finally in the midst of spring. The cold and white of winter has been happily and quickly forgotten. I've mentioned that sandal season has arrived. In fact, I just went and got myself a nice pedicure today! Yes, we've been getting drenched by these April showers, but like the saying goes, "April showers bring May flowers." But not today. Today, we had some snow. S-N-O-W! Unfreakinbelievable! Although it didn't stick and there's no accumulation on the ground, to see those cottony looking wisps in the air was shocking. I don't know why the temps have suddenly dropped in the mid-30's, but let me tell you, it totally sucks! While I don't believe we'll be getting any snow storms anytime soon (*keep your fingers crossed 'cuz the other parts of the Midwest HAS been!), I sure as hell am NOT ready- physically, emotionally, and mentally- for anymore snow. Hell no!

Shout-Outs

Just wanted to send some birthday shout-outs to Mrs. Lori at Cornerstone and to my niece/goddaughter Alyssa on her 10th birthday. A wedding anniversary shout-out goes out to E&M Santos for their 3rd year and going strong. They're also expecting kid #2 this December, so a congratulations are in order for their soon-to-be newest addition.

Prayer Requests

Please continue to keep my mom in your prayers. I don't know how long she'll be in the hospital. Her prognosis looks good, but she has not eaten any real food. Until she can do that without losing it, she'll remain a tad longer. Also, please keep hubby's family in your prayers. Yesterday, a cousin of his that has been battling cancer passed away. Lastly, please pray for my trip to da Bay this Friday. Thanks all- never underestimate the power of prayer!

No comments: