Thursday, January 27, 2005

That's Not Right


Here are just a few things that caught my eye as I read the paper today. In no particular order, some I find just wrong and others which I find highly disturbing:


- Minnesota's age of sexual consent: 16 years old.


- Arson starts a fire at a MN farm killing over 500 animals, mostly sheep and baby lamb. Though many others survived, they will probably have to be put to death because of smoke inhalation and other complications. Although still under investigation, authorities suspect teenagers doing it for fun.


- If the law passes, San Franciscans may be charged 17 cents for every paper or plastic bag they take from grocery stores. I understand the whole environmental issue thing, I do. But c'mon...people are spending the loot for the food already. And to think...I love to double bag.


- Bush and his policies. Pick one. Any one.


- Local high school students in MN are fighting to bring back their old mascot- an Indian warrior. In '96, the student body changed the mascot because after looking through the school's history learned that the founder of the school was involved in killing Native American warriors. The senior leading this crusade sees nothing wrong with it nor believes that it does not cause disrespect to the Native American community..."it's not as if we have painted faces and tomahawks.." I can't stop shaking my head on this one.


- The smoking ban in San Francisco that doesn't permit smokers to do their thang at parks and other open spaces. Although I am not a proponent of smoking (nevermind that it was an expensive habit of mine in college), we simply can't force others to quit or deny them their choice of slow death if they so choose. I think that CA is awesome for banning smoking in restaurants and bars. I'm hoping that MN will follow suit, but it's a tough fight out here. We're still given the choice of smoking or non-smoking when we dine out and believe me...there really ain't no difference. For being named one of the healthiest states in the nation, it's a wonder that all these smokers haven't been keeling over from black lungs yet.


- Paige is leaving Trading Spaces. After the spring, the show is having a facelift of its own by not only be Paige-less, but host-less in the end. With the influx of so many makeover reality shows, they'd like to keep its focus on the homeowners and designers. Boo. It definitely will not be the same. On a brighter note, Geneveive is having her own show and I just saw Vern do an AOL commercial. Seems like we haven't seen the end of the show's favorite after all!


Birthday Shout-Out


A very special birthday shout-out goes to one of my most favorite people in the world and who also happens to be my niece/ina-anak. Sabrina, who I had dubbed my lil' monkey when she was born, turned 8 years old yesterday! Eight- omigosh! I can still remember when... When I talked to my sis the other day, we had a mini reminiscing session. I can't believe how big and how fast she's growing up. *sigh* She's already in the 2nd grade and one of the best students in the class. She's become quite the little lady, a great big sister to Nico, and just an overall good girl. Her Mommy and Daddy have done a great job raising her. I called her yesterday to sing my birthday wishes over the phone...she cracks up 'cuz Ninang can't sing! I wish I was there to help celebrate and to give her a big bear hug, but it'll have to wait til the next time I visit. So Bina, I'm sending my birthday love and hugs all the way from Minnesota to you! I hope all of your wishes come true. Love and miss you!

No comments: