Monday, January 17, 2005

Lexus Ordeal


It was bound to happen. The Lex is simply not built for the harsh cold of the winter.


Sunday morning started like any other Sunday with us waking up late and rushing to get ready for service. We were up late the night before with yet another rearranging of our furniture (more about that later) and I swear, I feel like we've taken two steps backward in trying to get our place done. Little by little, yes I know. Service came and went (and not without a rather disturbing message about the wrath of God...but I'd rather not even go there right now...) and our ordeal began as we were headed home.


One thing about Minnesota that I am still trying to get used to are the numerous freeways. You've got to jump on 494 to get to 94E, then head towards Minneapolis on 35E South, then after a couple of miles, make the exchange to 36. And that's just going to church from our place. Y'know, da Bay Area was so much simpler. You had 280 and the 101. All that aside, we had just got onto the onramp of a freeway when the Lex slid out a bit. With the cold and icy roads, I'm already nervous about spinning out and whatnot. I can usually tell by looking at hubby's face whether or not it's time to really worry.


Turns out that the Lex had a flat tire. In a way it was a good thing that we were on the onramp because there was a small shoulder to park the Lex. On the other hand, hella drivers are usually trying to merge with oncoming traffic and are probably not really paying attention to any cars that might be stalled. Hubby goes out to check and yes, indeedy, it was a flat. To make things worse, we had gotten a flat right before our move and replaced it with the spare. We never replaced the other tire. So there we were stuck on the side of the road, hoping and praying that we wouldn't get hit by oncoming traffic.


Let me digress for a moment. Since winter started, there've been so many tips on "winterizing" your vehicle in case of emergency. We've gotten down to throwing a sleeping bag in each of our cars. Just the other day, I was reading yet another article in the paper about the importance of checking the pressure of the tires. Yes, that should be normal in regular maintenance of a car, but oftentimes, the tires simply cannot handle the cold and give out. As we pulled out of the garage that Sunday morning, one of the first thoughts that entered my mind was, "Hmmm...we should've replaced that spare tire already. Watch something happen to our tires today." As fleeting as all of my other "ESP" moments are, it came and went. I swear, I should really start listening to those thoughts sometime!


Hubby got on the phone to see what our insurance could do as far as towing and whatnot. On the first call that he made, the lady told him that it would take about an hour and a half before someone came out to get us. 1 1/2 hours?! Dude...nevermind that we've been having negative weather for the past how many days! ('Course I patted myself on the back for sticking that sleeping bag in the car...y'know, for emergency!) And we really weren't dressed for walking to the next exit...hell, I was wearing heels! What could we do but wait?


As he got off the phone, surprisingly, a truck pulled up behind us. We exchanged looks that both said, "damn, that was fast!" Turned out it was a state patrol guy, not a tow truck. He informed us that we weren't in a very safe area (yah, no sh*t) and offered to wait with us "so you guys don't get hit. 'Cuz if I get hit, it'll be like being nudged by a snowball. I can take the hit, you guys can't." That was nice of him, yah? As traffic zoomed by us, we did feel a bit at ease having his huge truck behind us, but still, the shoulder where the Lex sat was atop an embankment where I could easily see us rolling down had we been hit. Must think good thoughts!


To make a long story short: tow truck came, tow truck drove us in circles, tow truck dropped us in front of tow truck company so that he could pick up another stalled vehicle as we waited (which he would compensate our delay with a gift certificate to Olive Garden!), drove us to Pep Boys only to be turned away because they were booked, and finally drove us to the autocare closer to where we live only to find it was closed. We couldn't very well have tow truck guy drive us all around, but he couldn't very well just leave us stranded somewhere either. We decided that we'd leave the Lex at the closed autocare place and call for someone to pick us up. As tow truck guy unloads the Lex, I walk across the way (in heels and no thermals, mind you...at this point, I have no feeling from my thighs down to my toes. Not good.) to the gas station to get some hot chocolate for us. I also get one for tow truck guy. I gotta give this guy props, though, on the real. He was out and about without a hat, scarf, or jacket. Towing trucks in negative degree weather has got to be the sh*tty end of a deal somewhere, but I know someone's got to do it. Thank God for these people.


Thank God for Mare and Pare DeJesus for being home when we called. Seeing their familiar faces drive up as we tried to defrost in the Lex was enough to make me cheer. After three long hours, we were back home exhausted. I think the cold just overtook my body. But it wasn't but ten minutes later that we were back on the road on our way back to church for a surprise birthday party...but more on that later. I'm definitely feeling the after-effects of yesterday's "ordeal." It seriously could've been worse and thankfully, it wasn't. Still, I'm just glad to be home, safe, and warm.


Is it spring yet??? Three more months and counting.


Birthday Shout-Out


'Twas my Mom's 61st birthday yesterday. She doesn't know it yet, but when I called to wish her a happy birthday, it was from the tow truck. That was when tow truck guy left us sitting there while he went to get another car. Of course I didn't mention that to the answering machine...didn't need to give my Mom anything to worry about, y'know? Will call home in a couple of days for my Dad's birthday...Jan is full of birthdays! After my Pops comes my Lolo; after Lolo is Bina's. Whew! Anyways, birthday love and hugs goes out to my Mom- wish I was there to give you a big hug! Love and miss you!

No comments: