Friday, January 28, 2005

Lucked Out


There's this backroad going to our house that we just discovered recently. It sure beats sharing the always crowded one-lane main road that we've been taking for the past month or so. It's way less trafficky and the huge million dollar homes are always a sight as we drive by. I finally decided to drive today because I've refused to do so when the roads are slick...for MY obvious reasons, see previous posts. Anyways, the road was empty except for the police car that had just pulled out of another complex heading the opposite direction. As it passed, I noticed in my rearview mirror that it was making a U-turn. Crap. Hubby tells me to slow down and as I do, I see those red siren lights go off behind me. Double crap.


I pull to the side of the road and stop my Honda. Hubby says to put my hands on the steering wheel because cops like to see where the hands are. I just rolled down my window and was greeted by, very surprisingly, a nice police guy. He was cheery, not condescending and was the furthest from being the dick that he could've been. Here's the conversation as follows:


Police Guy: Do you know why I stopped you today?


MnM in an innocent, yet natural tone: Um, not really.


PG: Do you know what the speed limit is around here or did you happen to see the speed limit sign?


MnM: Isn't it 35?


PG: Actually, it's 30 and I clocked you going 45. Technically, it probably used to be 45, but because of the new developments happening, we're trying to ensure people are being safe in this area.


MnM: Oh, okay.


Hubby: Yah, this is only the second time we've used this road.


PG: Are you folks from around here?


Hubby: We actually just moved here from California.


PG: Well, what brings you out here? Are you tired of sunny weather?


Hubby: Yah, we were trying to escape the California winters.


PG laughing: Oh, I see.


PG getting serious now: Do you have a driver's license on you?


MnM: Yah, I have it right here.


PG: I'm going to write you up a warning.


MnM: Okay.


PG: So where are you living?


MnM: Actually, we just live down the road in the new development.


PG: Oh, just over there?


MnM & Hubby: Uh huh. Yah.


PG: Well, I tell you what. I'm just going to give you a warning today. The police chief is trying to crack down and make sure people follow the rules of the road. We're trying to be really vigilant over here.


MnM: Oh thanks. I appreciate it.


PG: No problem. Welcome to Minnesota. Have a good day folks.


Police guy gets back in his car and I turn to hubby with a smile. "Wow, no ticket!" I say happily. Hubby's response? "See? All you had to do was flash that smile of yours." "It worked, eh?"


On the real, and for reasons I can't explain, I didn't even feel nervous. The few times that I've been pulled over, the cops were such a-holes that they make today's PG look like a saint. He was a nice guy. A nice police guy. A nice police guy who could've easily given a person of color like myself a ticket. See? That in itself gives me hope that not all cops are crooked and out to fulfill their quotas. Thanks Mr. Police Guy of Woodbury! Keep up the good job! =)


*Note to self: 30 mph on the backroads.*

No comments: